Fixed my first puncture!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well done - those pumps look handy if a bit big. Just bought one of decathlon's pumps - a 'mini' pump called a "Clever 900" - seems to double as a mini track pump or hand pump, accepts both types of valves, has a gauge etc - It's a little big for a jersey pocket, but ideal for the rucksack ! Very well made !

Ham

Help! - Got delivery of me new bike tother day and am having a problem with air pressure. The rear was already half inflated and assembled - the rear wheel I put on and pumped up - problem is ( using a normal pump AND a cycleair pump) they dont seem to want to inflate above half pressure i.e. put a bit a weight on 'em and they are flat! Is it dodgy valves? any ideas?

Tynan

Veteran
in any activity it's good to be able to deal with the lowest common denominator, tubes ain't always going to save you

I hope that was a pretend comedy puncture you were patching bonj

there's not usually water at the side of the road, if it's enough to stop you limping home you can hear it

and patches weld onto the tube, stronger than the tube was to start with

it's satisfying to fix a tube with 2p of materials

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I can't remember ever having a patch leak. I think one of my tubes currently has about 5 patches. I can't see the sense in throwing away a tube just because of a puncture, unless it's really slashed badly, or old enough to be dry-rotted. Isn't that kinda like throwing away money?

In addition to the points made about recycling, and expense, there's also the annoyance of making a trip to the shop to buy more tubes.

Mac66

This'll be the start of the fettling bug Cathryn. Just wait until you catch yourself wondering if you should lube your cables, tinker with the mechs etc. Once it takes hold you are doomed.

Mortiroloboy

No one that I cycle with carries out a 'roadside' repair, i.e. fixes a patch on a innertube, I would suggest that most people just replace the p*nct*red tube with a new one and do the patching (if viable) upon their return home. Always make sure you have a couple of spare tubes in your pack.

I have both a Co2 inflator and a mini pump. Coming down off Watership Down on Sunday (prior to my attic incident) I had a puncture, some bloke in a car stopped to see if I was OK (bless) and a passing horse rider made the comment that having a puncture "wasn't helpful" no sh*t Sherlock!

bianco

threefingerjoe said:
I can't remember ever having a patch leak. I think one of my tubes currently has about 5 patches. I can't see the sense in throwing away a tube just because of a puncture, unless it's really slashed badly, or old enough to be dry-rotted. Isn't that kinda like throwing away money?

In addition to the points made about recycling, and expense, there's also the annoyance of making a trip to the shop to buy more tubes.

Doesn't those 5 patches throw your wheel off balance?

I've spent hours finely truing my wheels, using lightweight latex inner tubes and puncture welcoming tyres to lighten my wheel and making myself faster. Why would I add 2g of glue and 3g of patch, 5 TIMES! THAT'S 15 GRAMS!!!!

Mortiroloboy

Ham said:
Help! - Got delivery of me new bike tother day and am having a problem with air pressure. The rear was already half inflated and assembled - the rear wheel I put on and pumped up - problem is ( using a normal pump AND a cycleair pump) they dont seem to want to inflate above half pressure i.e. put a bit a weight on 'em and they are flat! Is it dodgy valves? any ideas?

Ham, I have replied to this topic in your other thread, make sure that the valves are fullyopen before you try and pump air in, and screwed down tight when you have finished. Get yourself a good track pump too.

User259iroloboy said:
No one that I cycle with carries out a 'roadside' repair, i.e. fixes a patch on a innertube, I would suggest that most people just replace the p*nct*red tube with a new one and do the patching (if viable) upon their return home. Always make sure you have a couple of spare tubes in your pack.

I have both a Co2 inflator and a mini pump. Coming down off Watership Down on Sunday (prior to my attic incident) I had a puncture, some bloke in a car stopped to see if I was OK (bless) and a passing horse rider made the comment that having a puncture "wasn't helpful" no sh*t Sherlock!
I car a spare tube and a small repair kit although I've never used the latter.

Mortiroloboy

I also carry a small 'P' repair kit, but that's more in hope( of not having to use it) rather than in anticipation (of having to use it) but at least I have all the possibilities covered, I used to be a boy scout !

bobg

Über Member
Good on ya Cathryn. Once you get the repair/upgrade bug you'll be doing restorations in no time. BTW when you've put the patch on dont bother to remove the plastic backing, it often unpeels the edge of the patch and it doesnt hurt to leave it on.

Janeyb

You go girl......I still haven't mastered that one yet! :sad: Hopefully won't need to for a while either!

Tynan

Veteran
and I took off my first pedals last night to move over to the new ride when I collect it this evening

they'd graciously agreed to fit them for me and I only realised afterwards that I'd have to remove them myself

found out what the shiny bit on the 7mm allen key in the minitool is finally for

Top Bottom