Fixed my first puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bryony

Veteran
I discovered that my MTB has a slow puncture so thought it would be a perfect opportunity to see if I can fix a puncture (not had one since I took up cycling) and I found it really easy! I got tube in and out easily, found where the puncture was quickly (with the help of a sink of water) now I'm just waiting to see if it stays up, as it took a couple of days to go down before.

Just thought I'd share as I'm feeling quite proud of myself!!

Kbrook

Veteran
Well done, satisfying when you do it yourself.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Well done :thumbsup:

Don't forget to to check the inner walls of the tyre to see what caused it though.. sometimes it's a quick 'in and out' thorn or summat. Sometimes though, there's stilll a bit of glass or something that caused the original puncture lurking around.
Mind your fingers when you run them round the inside ot the tyre though!!!! :ph34r:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Don't forget to to check the inner walls of the tyre to see what caused it though.. sometimes it's a quick 'in and out' thorn or summat. Sometimes though, there's stilll a bit of glass or something that caused the original puncture lurking around.
Mind your fingers when you run them round the inside ot the tyre though!!!! :ph34r:

^ most important! I once rescued a rider who had got through his 2 spare tubes, and one repaired tube. Each lasted just a couple of miles until 'Oh no - another puncture!'. Persuaded him to remove the tyre completely, turn it inside out and examine it closely. It took some time but eventually we discovered a tiny, tiny flint, only just visible when the tyre was flexed - and a real PITA to remove!
I carry a pair of fine tweezers in the saddlepack to deal with such annoyances.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well done :thumbsup:

Someone once told me to use a tissue to run around the inside of the tyre to look for the object, though I do as Nigelnaturist says (well sort of) I mark the tyre where the valve is, before taking it off.

Steady

Über Member
It's always satisfying the first time! Well done!

Bit of a chore afterwards though, especially when it comes to slow punctures and you have to wait a few days to see if you fixed it and then you finally find a massive thorn impaled through the tyre you've missed!

(and it's always a thorn that's evolved to hide itself!)

OP
OP
Bryony

Bryony

Veteran
Thank you everyone!! I did remember to check the inside of the tyre, but found nothing and unfortunately it went down again. On closer inspection it looks like the tube maybe past its best the valve seems to be leaking a little so I'm just going to replace it!

I just have to have a go at my road bike next!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I discovered that my MTB has a slow puncture so thought it would be a perfect opportunity to see if I can fix a puncture (not had one since I took up cycling) and I found it really easy! I got tube in and out easily, found where the puncture was quickly (with the help of a sink of water) now I'm just waiting to see if it stays up, as it took a couple of days to go down before.

Just thought I'd share as I'm feeling quite proud of myself!!
Ha! Take that, puncture fairy! :boxing::ninja:

(looks nervously behind him... :unsure:)

Top Bottom