Flags on Fuegos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
My Catrike came with a little mount you bolt onto the rear triangle, using a mudguard or rack boss. You can buy them separately.

http://www.wheelnv.co.uk/cataccessories.html

(scroll down to see it)

In the mean time, perhaps gaffer tape and zipties could be your friends?

Or a novelty hat? ;)

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
The rack on my SMGTe came with a flag mount built in. I can't say I've ever used it (well, not for purpose) but I know plenty that take a lot of comfort from the perceived increase in visibility. Presumably you want something like this ;)
stock-photo-flag-pin-tierra-del-fuego-province-argentina-31173628.jpg

I flirted with the idea of a flag early on, but found my 'bent already quite terrifying to the local horse-riding school. From what I've read, a pennant dancing around in the breeze only makes it much much worse. There's a lot that can be done with defensive riding, so I tend to rely on that instead. Around 70% of motor vehicles on my regular commute are high enough to block visibility of the flag to the car behind anyway. Mostly its 4x4s, vans, people carriers, luton trucks, lorries, buses, taxis, with the very occasional saloon dotted between.

OP
OP
M

MartinG

I flirted with the idea of a flag early on, but found my 'bent already quite terrifying to the local horse-riding school. From what I've read, a pennant dancing around in the breeze only makes it much much worse. There's a lot that can be done with defensive riding, so I tend to rely on that instead. Around 70% of motor vehicles on my regular commute are high enough to block visibility of the flag to the car behind anyway. Mostly its 4x4s, vans, people carriers, luton trucks, lorries, buses, taxis, with the very occasional saloon dotted between.

Yeah I don't really see the need myself, but the females of the family seem to think a small pennant waving around above the line of sight (since drivers look at the road, not the sky) will be more visible than my considerable bulk directly where they are looking. I agree - no amount of visibility aids will penetrate the unseeing eyes of the bike-blind motorist, and defensive riding is the essential factor in staying alive. This is purely for a quiet home life.

My problem with attaching the pole to my Fuego is that it has a rear rack attached to the seat and I cannot find a secure way of attaching it with it passing through the space my head is going to occupy! And while my friends may consider my head to be pretty vacant...

ACW

I had a flag attached to the rack on my fuego for the first winter of riding, i used a cut down flag that had an attachment for the rear wheel, cut off the fitting and ty wrapped it to the rack at an angle where the rack attaches to the seat.

OP
OP
M

MartinG

I had a flag attached to the rack on my fuego for the first winter of riding, i used a cut down flag that had an attachment for the rear wheel, cut off the fitting and ty wrapped it to the rack at an angle where the rack attaches to the seat.

I shall have to play about more with angles.

I shall have to play about more with angles.

Once you have the mounting sorted - can I recommend Helen at Raindrop Kites for your flag.

She is very quick, her prices are reasonable and there are no restrictions on design - unless it is not feasible in which case she will tell you!

A couple of examples:

This is my old 1994 Trice with a "dragon"

dragonpennant.jpg

The Catrike (with cats)

Catrike008a.jpg

Top Bottom