Flat shoes on cleat pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The intention is to put them on an electric hybrid which I usually with a fairly rigid walking shoe on the flats. Having got on so well converting to cleats for the first time ever on the cx bike I want the option on the electric without swapping pedals all the time.
I have multiple pairs of good quality cage pedals with toe bails but I do not want the faff of spinning the pedal to get the proper side. The same would apply to the one of each pedals.
I'm aware there would be a degree of discomfort but I think that a largish platform will ameliorate this to an acceptable extent

If you think flipping the pedal is a hassle, then stick with pedals for flats then. All my bikes are 'clipped', be it SPD or Look road pedals.

I can ride the bike with flat shoes, but I only do it when pottering about with family on the flat. If you are actually 'riding' then they are uncomfortable.

I've actually bought SPD 'trainers' for casual riding now. Keeps feet secure and are more comfortable for walking.

SPD's are far from ideal if not clipped. You'll end up slipping off them at some point, and wish you'd stuck to flats

Reactions: C R

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
As others have said, get the double sided pedals, flat one side/SPD other.
Unlike rat trap/toe clip pedals, they don’t naturally flop over so they are the wrong way up which can be a right faff.
I find the double sided pedals usually stay where they are.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I didn't get on with those as they always seemed to be the wrong way up.
Conversely I have these on two bikes and they usually sit clip-side-up; if not it’s no bother to rotate the crank with a foot off then put it back on when the pedal has turned over. The main issue with M324s is that servicing them needs an expensive tool to set the bearing tightness.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Conversely I have these on two bikes and they usually sit clip-side-up; if not it’s no bother to rotate the crank with a foot off then put it back on when the pedal has turned over. The main issue with M324s is that servicing them needs an expensive tool to set the bearing tightness.

I guess I'd already taken the plunge on the dreaded "special shoes" by then so swapped to double sided, then subsequently crank-brothers which are essentially four sided. I did buy clip on platforms for the latter but rarely used them, and also ridden on the pegs in a pair of office oxfords after forgetting my bike shoes when taking the bike in the boot when getting the car serviced !

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
How about a pair of adaptors like these:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/platform-adapters-compatible-with-shimano-spd/_/R-p-300615
Other makes and types are available, not too expensive to try out either.
Those look fun, has anyone actually tried them?

wonderloaf

Veteran
Looking at the Video there is a piece under the flap that has to be moved each time they are fitted / removed and which in all probabilty eventually snaps.
They have a two year warranty so if they break within that timescale you can always take them back.

Top Bottom