Flatbed Scanners - looking for a recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My trusty Epson Perfection has finally gone to the big electronic scrapheap in the sky. I can't complain, I've had it for more than 20 years and it's done me some sterling service. I really need a replacement sooner rather than later as stuff that is waiting to be scanned is getting a bit backed up.

Basically, I am looking for more of the same, namely something with an A4 scan bed and with a lightbox for scanning slides and negatives. The latter is desirable rather than essential, as most of what I scan is documents, photographic prints and other paper-based ephemera. I can always buy a small stand-alone film scanner if need be, as a basic one isn't that expensive.

I'm not above buying used / reconditioned. Guess budget is somewhere in the region of £150 - £200.

Or if someone on here has one in good nick that they want taking off their hands, then that's an avenue I'd also be happy to explore.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Can't speak for the slides & negs (tho' I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem) but I've always found Canon scanners excellent, and you can pick 'em up on the bay for a song.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can't speak for the slides & negs (tho' I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem) but I've always found Canon scanners excellent, and you can pick 'em up on the bay for a song.

You've got to check they work with later windows - we've got a perfectly good scanner that's useless as no drivers now. All scanning is from the HP printer now though !

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Mmmmm, well I have two laptops, one running Win 10, and one still running Vista (yeah, I know...) so likely have all bases covered in that respect.

What I don't need is a combo printer-scanner, as I have a perfectly serviceable printer.

aferris2

Guru
Don't discount all in one printers completely. They come in at silly low prices because they want you to pay megabucks for the ink. Plus you can get wifi connection so don't even need to physically connect it to your PC.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
That's not really any good to me @aferris2 unfortunately. Printer and scanner have to live in the utility room behind the garage, where the wi-fi signal is patchy at best, as I just don't have the space for them in the house. :blush:

And as I mentioned upthread, I own a perfectly serviceable printer, so there's no point duplicating something I already have. Plus I really do need the flexibility of a standard flatbed as I work* with anything from photo prints and programmes to spiral-bound press guides, plus books and posters.

* I keep a motor racing archive, which means I handle a lot of eclectic stuff.

Top Bottom