"Flexetarian" - oh dear oh dear oh dear!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
"A vegetarian does not eat any meat, poultry, game, fish, shellfish or crustacean, or slaughter byproducts," it says. They can make that even more pithy: "We don't eat dead things."

Two thoughts.... if your vegetable has been fertilised with say a bone mel derivative - can you still eat it?

Surely a a cooked vegetable could be adequately described as dead! Passed on! This carrot is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker! Its a stiff! Bereft of life....It rests in Peace

Which to me sums it up - how far do you want to go - does it really matter?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Indeed. And that's the problem that these terms have been popularised in the last couple of years by the orthodox lot who want want to describe themselves as the one true vegetarian. Before that there wasn't a problem or any of this stupid bickering and label slinging.

Cunobelin said:
Two thoughts.... if your vegetable has been fertilised with say a bone mel derivative - can you still eat it?

Surely a a cooked vegetable could be adequately described as dead! Passed on! This carrot is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker! Its a stiff! Bereft of life....It rests in Peace

Which to me sums it up - how far do you want to go - does it really matter?

That's shallot, Cunobelin.

I have avoided meat and fish on the plate since 1982 - I'm sure I have ingested plenty of animal inadvertently though...

BTW is that bone Mel B or Mel C? :smile: I know which one would add a little spice to my legumes...

OP
OP

661-Pete

summerdays said:
We (the friend with a wheat intolerance) were at a wedding together and the couple getting married had made sure she would have nice things to eat, so had an alternative dessert for her. She liked the look of the dessert containing wheat so sampled a small corner of her husbands to see what it tasted like. Within a moment or two, one of the waitresses was over to our table very concerned she had sampled it. We were impressed by their concern, and obviously explained that the small amount wouldn't provoke an extreme reaction in her.
Brings us around to those wretched peanuts. What is it with peanuts? When I was a kid, we were all happily munching salted peanuts (from Woolies, sold loose in a paper bag) and passing them to one another. Now, it's as good as a hanging offence to even think of putting out a small pot of them at a children's party...

But I read somewhere that there is change afoot on the peanut front too. Researchers having some measure of success bringing kids out of the peanut allergy. With what? Feeding them small doses of peanuts of course, gradually increasing. :smile:

Of course I don't know whether that would work for your friend, but it's a relief to know that wheat is not cyanide to her.

Aperitif said:
That's shallot, Cunobelin.

I have avoided meat and fish on the plate since 1982 - I'm sure I have ingested plenty of animal inadvertently though...

BTW is that bone Mel B or Mel C? :biggrin: I know which one would add a little spice to my legumes...

I will not degrade this thread with innuendo about eating meat...

OP
OP

661-Pete

Cunobelin said:
[I will not degrade this thread with innuendo about eating meat...]*35
Oh, but please do, Mr Cunobelin! I just fancy a nice juicy innuendo as a change from fish, garnished with a creamy garlic and tarragon sauce and sprinkled with coriander...

I started all this with a comment on ludicrous labelling, but I don't mind at all if it goes over to inane innuendo....:biggrin:

Top Bottom