Flickr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

on the road

Über Member
and the usual gear and technique snobbery, rivalry and the like that any photo site has.
Do you mean when people hide their Exif info? You get some people like that, they don't want you to see how they took the picture in case you then go and take a better picture. When I'm putting pictures up I make sure my Exif is visible, if it helps someone take a better picture then I don't mind. The only pictures of mine which don't have an Exif or have very little information are those that were taken on film.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Do you mean when people hide their Exif info? You get some people like that, they don't want you to see how they took the picture in case you then go and take a better picture. When I'm putting pictures up I make sure my Exif is visible, if it helps someone take a better picture then I don't mind. The only pictures of mine which don't have an Exif or have very little information are those that were taken on film.

I hide my Exif as I got bored of snobs saying I should have used fx or 1.y speed. The camera and medium shouldnt matter, its the final picture that does. I include the make and model of camera, and the medium (135, 120, RAW, instant etc) in the description; but thats it.

Melvil

Kind of, I guess. There are those kind of people out there (though some of them hide their EXIF data for other reasons and BTW a quick way to completely wipe any EXIF data is to save your photo as a bitmap (.bmp) in photoshop and then re-save it as a jpeg or whatever). And on the other hand there is a bit of a trend with local photographers seeing other local photographers streams and then going out to exactly the same places in a kind of photographic merry-go-round, which can be annoying to those who go to a place for the first time.

But mainly I mean the gear people who insist that such and such make of filter or model of camera is inherently superior or the traditionalist people who are 'rule of thirds' and 'golden mean' evangelists and who criticise a picture if it doesn't blindly follow those rules...

on the road

Über Member
I hide my Exif as I got bored of snobs saying I should have used fx or 1.y speed. The camera and medium shouldnt matter, its the final picture that does. I include the make and model of camera, and the medium (135, 120, RAW, instant etc) in the description; but thats it.
I know where you're coming from. I put a picture up on another forum and someone after looking at the Exif on my picture said I should have used so an so ISO and so and so aperture to reduce the grain, I'm surprised that they could see the grain. I started putting pictures on their without saving the Exif after that.

Although I haven't had any comments like that on Flickr (in fact I hardly get any comments) but if I did I'm sure I'd probably ending up hiding the Exif info.

Top Bottom