Flies, grhh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
Last time I rode up a serious hill, in summer and through a forest, I seemed to be a fly magnet. Quite off-putting. What can you recommend as a repellant?

I know that Skin so Soft, an Avon product , is for some an effective midge repellent and as a last reource that is what I will use. But surely there is something specific.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Last time I rode up a serious hill, in summer and through a forest, I seemed to be a fly magnet. Quite off-putting. What can you recommend as a repellant?

I know that Skin so Soft, an Avon product , is for some an effective midge repellent and as a last reource that is what I will use. But surely there is something specific.

Probably not the answer you are looking for but the only real answer is more speed. Flies cannot do more than about 6mph so you need to exceed that to escape their attentions.
When I was a child walking along a road beside Loch Shin the answer was to get some bracken and stuff it down the back of your shirt with the fronds above your head. The theory which did mostly work was that they followed to highest point.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Smaller biting flies are not very fast but horseflies and their ilk might get up to 35mph so more speed only works up to a point. If the larger ones follow exhaled CO2 as the smaller ones do, it's hard to evade them, as the harder you pedal, the more CO2 you will trail behind.

Baldy

Über Member
Smidge for midges, deet if you can stand it for mosquitos. Deet is really bad for your skin as well as being carsonagenic.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
To avoid the added protein of swallowing flies, either nose breathing, or 'inhale via nose - exhale via mouth' can help.

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
It seems that I must accept the inevitable. I am 81 and in rehab afer lung surgery last year - there will be periods on the Mont Ventoux climbs when my speed will be less than 6mph.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It seems that I must accept the inevitable. I am 81 and in rehab afer lung surgery last year - there will be periods on the Mont Ventoux climbs when my speed will be less than 6mph.

I'd worry about the wind more that flies on Ventoux! However, on a sample of 1 day in history, neither were a problem. Its also only one section that is through the forest, the middle 10km. first 5k are open and gentle gradient, then 10km thru trees (green below) which is steeper, and then above Chalet Reynard its moonscape bald mountain, less steep but if its windy, this is where the issues will be.
1690360501073.png

Gillstay

Über Member
If its mosquito's then `Shoo' was found to be best at a camp in the tropical rainforest for a month.

Top Bottom