Floppy disks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I left a job in 2001. We were using Windows 3.1
smile.gif

Firestorm

Veteran
I recall going round and installing Office 4.3 on a batch of new PC's at work ...34 floppies per install !

is 20 years since I got my first PC at home. An AMD 386 40 with 40MB HDD and 2 MB of Ram

A few years later whe I wanted to upgrade my PC's memory (by now a 486 66) the going rate was 25 quid + vat per MB and 8MB - 16MB upgrade (so MS office would run better) cost me 235 quid !!

My first contact with floppies was with the Amiga - A600 with a 20mb hard drive (that's mb, not gb) first then A1200 with a whopping 80mb hard drive! I had loads of floppies. Some games and utilites were spread aver 6 or so of them. It was great to actually be able to install to hard drive instead of swapping floppies for 10 mins while your coffee went cold.

The days before the internet got going, I used to look forward to seeing what programmes and demo's were on the floppies on the cover of the latest mag. Accrued hundreds of the things.

(Is it me or were the magazines a lot more interesting back then too? The computer mags I read today are supposedly full of 'cutting edge' stuff, but IMHO they're nowhere near as innovative as the things the mags talked about in the 1980's.)

:becool:

Shaun

Founder
1984 - my first job was programming a Tandy TRS80-II which had twin 8" floppies!!

It took me half a day to run a backup to 30 discs.

Attached to the computer were two daisy-chained 8MB SCSI external hard drives - that were each as big (and heavy) as a desktop PC, and really quite loud in comparison to today's tower PCs.

Those were the days ... :smile:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

(Most mobile phones have x+n times the power of that old Tandy. ;))

tyred

Legendary Member
Flopy disks? Those new fangled things? I remember many happy hours spent listening to the programs load from tape on my Sinclair Spectrum.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Flopy disks? Those new fangled things? I remember many happy hours spent listening to the programs load from tape on my Sinclair Spectrum.
Those were the days, putting up with that awful screeching while the tape loaded. I'm probably one of the few people who upgraded to a Microdrive on the Spectrum, it was a revelation at the time.

IIRC the Dragon 32 had no onboard operating system, BASIC had to be loaded from the tape everytime you fired up. That must have been fun.

Shaun

Founder
I'm probably one of the few people who upgraded to a Microdrive on the Spectrum, it was a revelation at the time.

Nope ... muggin's here did too.

In fact I found one of the cartridges in the bottom of a bag recently when clearing out an old cupboard we never use.

Sadly I still have my Atari 520ST still bagged (with disks) in the shed - used to love landing jets on carrier desk (can't remember the name of the game). :smile:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Chutzpah

Über Member
It's surprising how many businesses still require them as their equipment (e.g. tills) still use them to update.

I'm pretty sure that air traffic control make good use of them too.........

USB pens are interesting - I used to never be without one. Now I use dropbox. It was actually weird to be asked today if I had a USB drive on me as someone wanted to give me a big powerpoint file. In the end I mounted by phone to his computer and used the memory card on that...

Top Bottom