Flying jet- spotted in Oxford

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks like the kind of "thing" you lot would like ^_^ 549074

Reactions: mjr

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Looks like the kind of "thing" you lot would like ^_^ View attachment 549074
View attachment 549075
Wouldn't fancy trying to stop with the brake levers set like that and as for that saddle :eek:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Wouldn't fancy trying to stop with the brake levers set like that and as for that saddle :eek:
Soft mattress saddles are surprisingly comfy. The worst thing is that the smooth pleather gets sweaty fast in summer but it's far from the only saddle to suffer that.

I agree the brake lever reach looks a bit long!

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
I think Flying Jet was a marque used by Junckers of the Netherlands. This machine is certainly consistent with Belgian-Netherlands bikes of the 1960s. In particular, the internal rear hub (back pedalling) brake and the front-mounted dynamo are typical of Benelux bikes of the time; and the absence of gears makes the Netherlands the probable homeland. It may be that Netherlands law at the time did not require more than a single back-pedalling brake, in which case the front brake would be a later addition, by the look of it taken from a different-shaped handlebar which would account for its exaggerated offstand. The brake looks like a down-market 1960s Weinmann. The saddle looks very British, Lycett was a popular brand, and adds some local colour. Hard to tell with certainty, but the wheels appear to be spoked 36x36 which was the standard Continental practice; UK wheels were normally spoked 32x40 at the time.

Last edited:

mjr

It may be that Netherlands law at the time did not require more than a single back-pedalling brake,
Still doesn't, does it?

Anyway, the rear brake arm is clearly visible under the left dropout, so it has two and it's probably a UK-resident bike. A temporary visitor bike can still legally ride around with one brake, thanks to a 1960s treaty!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Soft mattress saddles are surprisingly comfy. The worst thing is that the smooth pleather gets sweaty fast in summer but it's far from the only saddle to suffer that.

I agree the brake lever reach looks a bit long!
I was referring more to the angle it's at, as for comfort they're OK in summer but if you'd ever ridden one that has got wet and then frozen you'd be as wary of em as I am. nothing quite beats the feeling of riding 40 minutes or so to work and feeling them slowly thaw out leaving the arse of your jeans soaking and as for trying to explain to your workmates why this is when it ain't raining is always good for a laugh.
That's why BITD you saw so many covered in plastic bags.

As for the brake it's not the reach (I've got similar on my Raleigh 'City' 3 speed) but again the angle you'd have to nearly break your wrist to brake. :laugh:

mjr

That's why BITD you saw so many covered in plastic bags.
Still do on any bike parked outside!

As for the brake it's not the reach (I've got similar on my Raleigh 'City' 3 speed) but again the angle you'd have to nearly break your wrist to brake. :laugh:
Depends how tall you are. My short wheelbase bike has the levers at a similar "dangle". Stuff the bike fashion police! Levers on the horizontal make me wince more!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Still do on any bike parked outside!

Depends how tall you are. My short wheelbase bike has the levers at a similar "dangle". Stuff the bike fashion police! Levers on the horizontal make me wince more!
You needed the bag on the seat when riding though :ohmy:

I'd say these were at a nice angle, well they are for me.

Top Bottom