FNRttC FNRttC to Whitstable 15 April 2022. Ride report.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Well, in a sense, this is two ride reports. It was, after all, Good Friday, bank holiday, haven't taken up the available overtime for years, so it was a day off. Now, I could spend most of the day at home, get the train up to Waterloo, or I could go for a bike ride. Not just a short one for a sandwich & collecting train tickets. Though I did that too… About time I did another century, anyway (the 97.3 miler in March does not count, close but no cigar). Weather forecast pretty much perfect for it, so…aforementioned shopping trip in the morning, lunch…then off for a ride.

Set off north-east at 1.50. Yes, that's very early for a smidge under 80 miles when you're supposed to be at your rendezvous at 2330, but I was going to need food at halfway or thereabouts, food before the meet-up, and I know all too well the spanners than can get thrown in the works on a long ride, particularly as the route included my navigational bete noir, the Kingston-upon-Thames one-way system. Yes, I had a GPX track loaded on the Garmin, but it never always worked out with my Edge 705s (plural), and the eTrex 30x doesn't do turn-by-turn very well from tracks, so you're trying to follow a pink line on a small screen while dodging buses, taxis, and undertaking delivery riders on scooters.

Opted for the Viner- out for the first time in some months. Will have owned it 13 years this August, and it still feels special after all these years and all these miles. Though I can't say I wouldn't have preferred 35mm tyres & hydraulic discs for cobbles, steep descents and sketchy surfaces, because I would, the Litespeed doesn't dance like the Italian job, or climb like her. Given the lack of carrying capacity on the bike, and the distance intended, decided to get the hydration bladder out of storage, 3L (four bottles worth) of 50/50 juice & water would (I thought) last me until the Waterfront. Not quite, it lasted until about 6.30, but it certainly helped in remembering to drink.

Early pace was both strong and steady, and it stayed that way until KOT. Just under 13 mph rolling pretty much all the way there. Took my usual route NE- Havant, Rowlands Castle, the rolling lanes through to Petersfield (thankfully quiet, though needed to squeeze out of the way of cars a couple of times). Loo stop at Tesco, then onwards, through Rake, Liphook, and the lumpiest bits of the ride either side of Haslemere. Short stop in Guildford, along the A3 bike path (surface as ropey as ever, but the hedge trimming seemed to have been done, and it's better than the carriageway!!!). Into Ripley just after six, and paused for the sandwich at the Village Green, just past the fifty mile mark. Twenty minutes later, onward. Ockham, Cobham, and up the A307, through Esher and Thames Ditton.

It all went, briefly, pear-shaped, in Kingston, not for the first time. Went round and round multiple times, and into Hampton Wick, before finding one of the right ways NE again. Ended up, for the second time in a week (after Saturday night, on a Yamaha to Hammersmith) on the A3 towards Putney- this time on the bike path, natch. Rather than cross Putney Bridge and on through Chelsea, I opted to stay south of the river, through Wandsworth, Clapham, Vauxhall, and made it to the dinner stop of choice, the Pizza Express on Belvedere Road, just about 9.30, 80 miles on the clock. The misadventures in KOT added about forty minutes, but that's why I allowed that much time.

Thoroughly reloaded with Italian carbs, back on the Italian bike & round to the NT, where I was unsurprisingly one of the first there. A pretty good turn out- 55 I think- with plenty of new faces, but also plenty of my fellow old lags. Though Kim needs to learn to speak up a bit, or get a megaphone, for the safety talk…

Just after midnight, off we went, pretty much the now-stock route east, with one small navigation error by our ride leader the only slight issue. There was, I think, one puncture all night, which entailed a temporary split & stand-in tail end while it was dealt with. Apart from that, if I remember correctly, the only mechanicals were a bit of light fixture fettling & a tweak to a rear derailleur. Though , apart from the gentleman whose disc brakes must have been drenched in something petrochemical, judging by the unholy screaming they made every time they were applied. If Liam Howlett heard them he'd probably have sampled them for the next Prodigy album…

Greenwich, Woolwich (cobblestones, ouch on 23 & 25mm tyres), and Plumstead- McDonalds not available for calls of nature- Bexleyheath, Dartford, the usual bus lane pause, Gravesend, and then the lovely quiet bits into Strood. I heard talk about hundred mile rides, and not all of it rang true (Eddington number 102 and very slowly rising, so what do I know? :becool:) but opted to keep my counsel. Passed the 100 mile mark on this occasion in the vicinity of Dartford. Mrs D being unwell, Tim was holding fort alone at the Emporium of Cakey Goodness, and Gordon, a stalwart of waymarking all night, also stepped up to help out with serving the lycra horde.

In view of the lower-than-expected temperatures, I and most others took the opportunity to pile on extra clothing before we headed off again. In the mist, the Soviet sub would have been invisible, so no stop there, up the grindy climb past Rochester castle, through town (cobbles, ouch again), and Chatham. Upchurch regroup (friendly van driver), the Sittingbourne avoidance, and then the regroup/loo stop at Faversham. A drink and refuel, and then, sprint time. Headwind, and various bits were aching, so 14.4 mph average not too bad in the circumstances. Total since home, 147.73 miles in just under 13 hours riding time. I made the Waterfront pretty much on Kim's estimate of 8.30. Certainly didn't trouble the top ten, but didn't have to wait long in the queue at the either. Large Waterfront as functionally filling as ever, then time for the train. Given the mess that is trying to get from Victoria to Waterloo, opted for the St Pancras service. Unlike Southend, people managed to spread themselves along the train. Though some still haven't learnt how to get to the westbound platforms without lugging their bikes over the footbridge…

Service was predictably rammed by the time it got into the smoke, and I was grateful of having the lightest bike in the fleet when carrying it down the escalator proved the most sensible option. With achy bits still, unsurprisingly, achy, and traffic SNAFU, the trip back to Waterloo was a bit of a slog- 22 minutes!- and I went for the next available fast service south. Tea and a kip soon after.

Thanks everyone. Bridges too far next up…and yes, I've got that week off as well…

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sorry I couldn't make it, but with it being the Easter bank hol I was otherwise engaged..

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
Well, in a sense, this is two ride reports. It was, after all, Good Friday, bank holiday, haven't taken up the available overtime for years, so it was a day off. Now, I could spend most of the day at home, get the train up to Waterloo, or I could go for a bike ride. Not just a short one for a sandwich & collecting train tickets. Though I did that too… About time I did another century, anyway (the 97.3 miler in March does not count, close but no cigar). Weather forecast pretty much perfect for it, so…aforementioned shopping trip in the morning, lunch…then off for a ride.

Set off north-east at 1.50. Yes, that's very early for a smidge under 80 miles when you're supposed to be at your rendezvous at 2330, but I was going to need food at halfway or thereabouts, food before the meet-up, and I know all too well the spanners than can get thrown in the works on a long ride, particularly as the route included my navigational bete noir, the Kingston-upon-Thames one-way system. Yes, I had a GPX track loaded on the Garmin, but it never always worked out with my Edge 705s (plural), and the eTrex 30x doesn't do turn-by-turn very well from tracks, so you're trying to follow a pink line on a small screen while dodging buses, taxis, and undertaking delivery riders on scooters.

Opted for the Viner- out for the first time in some months. Will have owned it 13 years this August, and it still feels special after all these years and all these miles. Though I can't say I wouldn't have preferred 35mm tyres & hydraulic discs for cobbles, steep descents and sketchy surfaces, because I would, the Litespeed doesn't dance like the Italian job, or climb like her. Given the lack of carrying capacity on the bike, and the distance intended, decided to get the hydration bladder out of storage, 3L (four bottles worth) of 50/50 juice & water would (I thought) last me until the Waterfront. Not quite, it lasted until about 6.30, but it certainly helped in remembering to drink.

Early pace was both strong and steady, and it stayed that way until KOT. Just under 13 mph rolling pretty much all the way there. Took my usual route NE- Havant, Rowlands Castle, the rolling lanes through to Petersfield (thankfully quiet, though needed to squeeze out of the way of cars a couple of times). Loo stop at Tesco, then onwards, through Rake, Liphook, and the lumpiest bits of the ride either side of Haslemere. Short stop in Guildford, along the A3 bike path (surface as ropey as ever, but the hedge trimming seemed to have been done, and it's better than the carriageway!!!). Into Ripley just after six, and paused for the sandwich at the Village Green, just past the fifty mile mark. Twenty minutes later, onward. Ockham, Cobham, and up the A307, through Esher and Thames Ditton.

It all went, briefly, pear-shaped, in Kingston, not for the first time. Went round and round multiple times, and into Hampton Wick, before finding one of the right ways NE again. Ended up, for the second time in a week (after Saturday night, on a Yamaha to Hammersmith) on the A3 towards Putney- this time on the bike path, natch. Rather than cross Putney Bridge and on through Chelsea, I opted to stay south of the river, through Wandsworth, Clapham, Vauxhall, and made it to the dinner stop of choice, the Pizza Express on Belvedere Road, just about 9.30, 80 miles on the clock. The misadventures in KOT added about forty minutes, but that's why I allowed that much time.

Thoroughly reloaded with Italian carbs, back on the Italian bike & round to the NT, where I was unsurprisingly one of the first there. A pretty good turn out- 55 I think- with plenty of new faces, but also plenty of my fellow old lags. Though Kim needs to learn to speak up a bit, or get a megaphone, for the safety talk…

Just after midnight, off we went, pretty much the now-stock route east, with one small navigation error by our ride leader the only slight issue. There was, I think, one puncture all night, which entailed a temporary split & stand-in tail end while it was dealt with. Apart from that, if I remember correctly, the only mechanicals were a bit of light fixture fettling & a tweak to a rear derailleur. Though , apart from the gentleman whose disc brakes must have been drenched in something petrochemical, judging by the unholy screaming they made every time they were applied. If Liam Howlett heard them he'd probably have sampled them for the next Prodigy album…

Greenwich, Woolwich (cobblestones, ouch on 23 & 25mm tyres), and Plumstead- McDonalds not available for calls of nature- Bexleyheath, Dartford, the usual bus lane pause, Gravesend, and then the lovely quiet bits into Strood. I heard talk about hundred mile rides, and not all of it rang true (Eddington number 102 and very slowly rising, so what do I know? :becool:) but opted to keep my counsel. Passed the 100 mile mark on this occasion in the vicinity of Dartford. Mrs D being unwell, Tim was holding fort alone at the Emporium of Cakey Goodness, and Gordon, a stalwart of waymarking all night, also stepped up to help out with serving the lycra horde.

In view of the lower-than-expected temperatures, I and most others took the opportunity to pile on extra clothing before we headed off again. In the mist, the Soviet sub would have been invisible, so no stop there, up the grindy climb past Rochester castle, through town (cobbles, ouch again), and Chatham. Upchurch regroup (friendly van driver), the Sittingbourne avoidance, and then the regroup/loo stop at Faversham. A drink and refuel, and then, sprint time. Headwind, and various bits were aching, so 14.4 mph average not too bad in the circumstances. Total since home, 147.73 miles in just under 13 hours riding time. I made the Waterfront pretty much on Kim's estimate of 8.30. Certainly didn't trouble the top ten, but didn't have to wait long in the queue at the either. Large Waterfront as functionally filling as ever, then time for the train. Given the mess that is trying to get from Victoria to Waterloo, opted for the St Pancras service. Unlike Southend, people managed to spread themselves along the train. Though some still haven't learnt how to get to the westbound platforms without lugging their bikes over the footbridge…

Service was predictably rammed by the time it got into the smoke, and I was grateful of having the lightest bike in the fleet when carrying it down the escalator proved the most sensible option. With achy bits still, unsurprisingly, achy, and traffic SNAFU, the trip back to Waterloo was a bit of a slog- 22 minutes!- and I went for the next available fast service south. Tea and a kip soon after.

Thanks everyone. Bridges too far next up…and yes, I've got that week off as well…

As impressive as ever @StuAff

Cool dual reportage, Stu.

it all went, briefly, pear-shaped, in Kingston, not for the first time. Went round and round multiple times
Is this not almost a self-fulfilling prophecy now?!
I'm sure you have investigated alternatives, but given the propensity for major faffage in Kingston, is there not a better route around the place? Not having been anywhere near the place on a bike, I would not know, just asking.

The misadventures in KOT
Should this not be KuT?...
.... or even KunT?!!!

Kim needs to learn to speak up a bit
Not easy, this. And she is not the only one, by far. Few Ride Leaders have Sargent-Major voice boxes.

or get a megaphone
Lol. Would you carry it for her?!

Emporium of Cakey Goodness
Perfect nomenclature. Enough for everyone and more, I guess...your usual quantifying is lacking!

some still haven't learnt how to get to the westbound platforms without lugging their bikes over the footbridge…
Not clearly marked for first, or even second timers, unless shown the 'proper' route by those more experienced.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Many thanks Stu, very informative write up as usual, a service to the club. Am on the London bridges thing. Hope to see you👁️👁️

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Is this not almost a self-fulfilling prophecy now?!
I'm sure you have investigated alternatives, but given the propensity for major faffage in Kingston, is there not a better route around the place? Not having been anywhere near the place on a bike, I would not know, just asking.
Alternatives add mileage and/or no better if not actually worse. The rest of the route works very well, so if it ain't (mostly) broken. Kingston is actually easy enough if you get it right. It's getting it right when (as usual) it's manic.
Not clearly marked for first, or even second timers, unless shown the 'proper' route by those more experienced.

Indeed. It took me a while to find the correct way.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
i worked in Kington last year.
@StuAff has a choice of roads or the shared cycling/ped area through the middle of the town.

Attachments

• Kingston-peds.tcx
    34.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Kingston-road.tcx
    30.8 KB · Views: 4

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
Two spots here of @StuAff @mark st1 ^_^
You can play 'Where's Stuey' here
PXL_20220415_220850186.jpg

PXL_20220415_235152427.jpg

Top Bottom