Folding bike brakes issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tiras25

Hi guys,

I wonder if you help to point me to the right direction. I'm new to the folding bikes. Just got a used Captain Stag (any info on it). All good, the only issue are brakes. I have to start braking a mile prior to stop :smile:

The front brakes are too flimsy - bad design. They aren't connected to the fork and bends when braking. Not sure how to fix that.

The rear drums are better but very squeaky. Any way to fix that?

Any advice or point to specialized bicycle forum appreciated.

Thanks!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Can't offer any help re the brakes, but welcome to CC. Hope you enjoy it here :welcome:. Someone will be along soon i'm sure who will be able to help you.

sreten

Hi,

No experience of rear drum brakes. However front on a folder I used to have
I fitted heavy duty nylon tie-wraps, around the fork and into the gap above*
the brake blocks of the caliper brakes. Though it sort of looked like it wouldn't
work very well, when not moving, it was in practice a major improvement,
in the absolute braking and more the progressiveness of the front braking.

Make sure of course the front brake axial tension is set right,
many are too loose causing the problem in the first place.

rgds, sreten.

* Or below, if that is easier, above is better as
it can't disturb the brake blocks, below it can.

Sheldon Brown regarding the rear brake.

Last edited:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Hi @tiras25, and :welcome:
Having looked at several images of the Captain Stag (I hesitated before typing that into Google!), the front brake looks to be a frightening combination of flimsy construction and a very deep drop. It might be possible to find stronger brakes of such a deep drop, but for now I'd second @sreten's advice above; strong cable ties to prevent the front brake caliper from moving forward under braking. That alone should make a major improvement in braking, but if it still isn't enough, replace the existing brake blocks with better ones - something like koolstop.
I've no experience of drum brakes, so again follow sreten's advice and see what Sheldon has to say; I wouldn't worry too much about squeakiness, as 1) the front brake on a bike is far more important, and 2) a loud squeal is very effective if a pedestrian steps out in front of you without looking!

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Here's hoping! It should be better than the original brake, but don't expect a massive change, as it's a single pivot. Dual pivot such as Tektro R369, R556 or R559 might be more impressive, if the max 73mm drop is enough; Alhonga do a similar model.
Cantilever would be an interesting but radical redesign - not only would the fold be problematic with potential disconnection of the straddle wire, but also you'd need pivot bolts on the forks, and there don't appear to be any!

OP
OP
tiras25

tiras25

Hmm true! I should have looked for a dual pivot but didn't want to spend a lot.

Fold shouldn't be an issue, but I'll double check. Pivot bolts I will have to weld or completely replace a fork. I will report later with photos.

Thanks!

sreten

Hi,

Seeing your going to ignore what works, with new brake calipers or not,
there is not much to add, your overcomplicating the realistic problem.

Ignoring something that costs peanuts makes no
sense, especially if you don't want to "spend a lot ".

But then your talking about welding or replacing forks ......
New cantilever forks for an obscure folder, good luck .....

rgds, sreten.

NIH syndrome.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tiras25

tiras25

Works better now. Thanks for all the suggestions. The Tektro I got from eBay more sturdier and brakes better. The rear drum I just washed with car brake fluid. The squeaking seems gone for now. We'll see what happens.

Thanks again!!

Top Bottom