Folding bike choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have been on many international bike tours. I live in the city and want to purchase a folding bike for recreation and part of my training . At 77, It is too difficult to get a carbon full size bike up a narrow stairway to the 3rd floor of a brownstone, on a regular basis. I have access to a road bike on weekends.Although I’ve done research, I’d like suggestions for an all around folding bike with enough speeds to do some hills and distance. Having a folding bike would give me the ability to get exercise, be out of the city and hopefully help me get ready for an Italy tour next year, depending on the Covid situation.

vickster

Legendary Member
To clarify, Brommie is the nickname for a Brompton. There’s a 6 speed option (presumably also available in the US). Brompton are around 27lbs (12.5kg)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The obvious choice is a Brommie, which I’m sure you know. Cue loads of CCers telling you how wonderful they are and indeed they are. The only problem for you lugging it up three floors is the weight, it’s quite a bit heavier than a carbon road bike.
They do a super light version at 11.26 kg which still isn’t very light. There’s also the Tern Verge X11 at 10.2 kg.The lightest is the U.K. made Hummingbird from 7.9 kg for single speed.

Good thing about the Brompton is that it folds down really well - but yes - definitely heavier than a normal bike. Love my Brompton and I have a few normal bikes including Carbon and Titanium.

TwoStews

Does it have to fold? If not, then I would consider a mini-velo. They are lighter and stiffer than a folding bike, are a hoot to ride and are nice and easy to carry up and down stairs and to store in smaller spaces.

I own a Cannondale Hooligan and I love it. It commuted with it for years, taking it up and down flights of stairs and on and off trains daily. I can't think of many bikes which are as enjoyable to ride around town, but it is capable of longer distances in comfort. The Hooligan is no longer available to buy new in Europe, but I seem to think it might still be available in the US.

There is a whole cub-culture of mini-velos, and I don't pretend to know all about them. If you wanted a more road bike like experience with smaller wheels, check out some of the alternatives to Giants Escape Mini. Again, they don't sell this in Europe anymore, but I think its still available in Japan and possibly other east Asian countries where they are particularly popular.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
If you live in a relatively flat area a 2 speed Brompton (with mudguards if required) is a lightish option compared to the 6 speed.

NellyNoMates

I have a full size folding mountain bike made by Montague (Paratrooper). You remove one wheel, fold the frame in half and it fits in a bag 1m x 1m. Mine is 15 years old and still in great condition despite living on a sailing boat. You can sling the bag over your shoulder and carry on a train, or bus in the luggage compartment. Not super lightweight, but I've cycled on and off road on this and as it has 26 inch wheels, you never feel like your on a circus act bike! They now have many different levels of spec. Not sure what the current situation is with a UK dealer, I bought mine in the US.

Top Bottom