Folding Bike Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Klaus

As mentioned elsewhere I have a folding bike - this came with MTB tyres (size 20 x 1.9). The chap I got it from said these tyres would be so good for the usual pitted and potholed road surfaces of London .... not sure where he got this wisdom from. It's actually got the opposite effect, makes for quite an uncomfortable ride and probably slows as well. Been looking for normal road tyres this size but haven't found the same size yet. Perhaps there is a different size range for "normal" tyres. Anyone can point me to the right type, and supplier if known? Many thanks!

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I am afraid I don't know which folder you have, but in general one would want to choose tyres based on what features one wants most (e.g. speed, comfort, lightness, puncture protection etc.), and as in most things there will be tradeoffs and no tyre has all the best features.

Unfortunately one of the negative effects of small (20" e.g.) wheels is that potholes can feel like underpasses. Assuming your folder has no front/rear suspension, for shock absorption the tyre design characteristics that matter most are the volume of the tyre, the side wall flexibility and pressure. For that specific purpose while offering reasonably low rolling resistance for road use, one of the best is Schwalbe's Big Apple. Obviously the wider the model the better pneumatic shock absorption it can provide, but you do have to check that your fork and rear triangle have the clearance (vertical as well as horizontal) to accommodate the tyres you want.

A disadvantage of the Big Apples, however, is that they are not light. If you want high road speed and a good degree of puncture resistance, then a narrow slick such as Conti's Sport Contact 20x1 1/8" (assuming your rims are not too narrow for them, see bottom of this page) pumped up to the maximum design pressure will be great - but the ride can be a bone jarring experience.

Hope it helps.

fixedfixer

Veteran
Have a look at St John Street Cycles - plenty of 20 inch tyres there. Check the numbers on the side of the tyres you have - are they 406 / 1.9? I ask because there are more than one size of 20 inch believe it or not.

OP
OP
Klaus

Klaus

Thanks for all the advice - this is just a 1970s folding bike which I keep at work so I can do some riding during my lunch hour, about 5 miles most days. I don't really want tospend too much on this one, so I will look for some road type tyres and see how those work. These never came with MTB tyres (not invented at the time), always with normal road tyres (I did ride those folders in my youth....).

Top Bottom