Folding Bike vs Non-Folding bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrismence

Hello, my name is Chris.

I am thinking about getting a bike for commuting but, I am not sure which one to get?

Folding Bike can be useful to carry when travelling around in public transport but, disadvantages are that it's a smaller bike by assuming it could be hard to ride on.

A Non-Folding bike could be a good option because it is a sturdy and bigger wheel bike. Unfortunately, it would be a little hard to carry on public transport and; also, I lack storage space for placing the bike in my home.

I live in areas near London, seeking to ride a bike for around 8 miles to work where it is likely hilly roads and traffic. I am about 9 foot tall and looking to carry a backpack on the rack of a bike.

It might be appropriately safer to get a Non-Folding bike but, a Folding Bike is very convenient. I am not sure as I am seeking a more comfortable and convenient ride.

Gunk

Guru
I’d just buy a Brompton.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
It's worth thinking about whether you will need to put the bike onto public transport. Perhaps you can lock up a full size bike and then get on a bus?

I am a huge fan of my Brompton. They are a little tricky to ride, but only for a few minutes until you get used to them. There are people who tour on them over long distances. And they are absolutely ideal for jumping on and off buses and trains with your bike. You would probably want to take it into work, shops, pubs, etc and not lock it up. I've never been refused entry with mine anywhere.

I also use my full size bike loads and lock that up before getting on the train.

If you can, I'd suggest trying out a few options. There used to be Brompton hire bikes in London I think. And I'm sure there are places that hire out full size bikes too - there are up here. Worth spending a few quid to help you make the decision.

raggydoll

Über Member
If you are going to be cycling from home direct to your place of work and back again then I would get a regular bike.
If you are going to be using any form of public transport as well cycling then I would get a folding.

The good thing about a folding bike is:
Easy to fold up and take on bus/train/car etc.
You can take into your place of work with you so it is safe from theft and being locked up outside in the elements.

On the flipside, a regular bike can be a lot cheaper than a folding bike (a brompton anyway) - obviously this depends on which regular bike you buy.

It really depends on how you plan to use it.

If you're nine foot tall just walk to work. It's not that many steps.

As far as I know Brompton are sold out apart from the e bikes. They are great bikes though and would meet your requirements. People have done the London Classic on them and that's over a hundred miles so an 8 mile ride isn't a problem. And you can store it inside. Don't lock them up outside as they will get nicked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom