Folding bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

denutter

Did you know that it is Tesco's policy that they do not allow folding pushbikes in their stores? Unlike the other big stores like Sainsbury's and Morrison's who don't mind me placing my Brompton in a shopping trolley (obviously folded) or wheeled along by hand with Tesco they say no. Instead you're supposed to park your beloved folding bike outside to face the elements from the rain and possibly theft. I'd be interested to hear from other members who's had any dealings of some sort regarding this subject.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't shop at Tesco then, or use a bigger lock ! They all have silly policies, and I personally can't see why a brompton in a trolley is a problem.

Blurb

Über Member
Interesting, I've taken mine in Sainsburys folded in the trolley without a second thought.
I'll avoid Tesco when on the Brommie then as there is no way I'm leaving it unattended outside the store no matter how many locks I have on it.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I've pushed my roadie round our small Tesco metro before, The security guard asked me what I was doing, I told him once they reinstated the Sheffield stands and gave me a safe alternative it'd stay outside.

Have you checked if it is company policy or a store manager with a thing about bikes?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You could try the in-store trolley parks, usually next to the cafe.

I reckon a Brommie could be inserted part-folded in such a way as to make it impossible to remove without smashing the door of the bay.

Blurb

Über Member
[QUOTE 3015350, member: 45"]Given the (sometimes literally) crap that bike wheels ride through I don't blame supermarkets for being resistant to them being put into a trolley meant for carrying food.[/QUOTE]

I guess that's a fair point. Next time I shall endeavour to place something under it to address this issue.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've pushed my roadie round our small Tesco metro before, The security guard asked me what I was doing, I told him once they reinstated the Sheffield stands and gave me a safe alternative it'd stay outside.

Have you checked if it is company policy or a store manager with a thing about bikes?

You need to come to our local Iceland, one of the managers wheels his bikes through the store to the store-room.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
[QUOTE 3015350, member: 45"]Given the (sometimes literally) crap that bike wheels ride through I don't blame supermarkets for being resistant to them being put into a trolley meant for carrying food.[/QUOTE]
Except it's impossible to buy anything in a supermarket that doesn't have at least three impenetrable layers of plastic around it!!!!!!!

Top Bottom