food

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shades.5

bit of help needed here please , if i have a hearty brekkie do u think i will get through a day 70 miles on gels , water , jaffa cakes and energy bars etc , followed by a nice pub lunch in the evening.

simoncc

shades.5 said:
bit of help needed here please , if i have a hearty brekkie do u think i will get through a day 70 miles on gels , water , jaffa cakes and energy bars etc , followed by a nice pub lunch in the evening.

Yes. What do mean by gels? Wine gums, fruit pastilles and that sort of thing? They are excellent for quick energy.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
shades.5 said:

You could, but it would be pretty horrible. Whilst you can supply your energy needs that way, your guts might feel pretty hollow.
Choose things that have some bulk, you're gonna be in the saddle a long time so your stomach needs to feel it has something in it.
Malt-loaf, Oat bars, peanuts, crisps, banana, fig-rolls, dried Apricots etc.

Your body is used to eating proper food, suddenly switching to a diet high in gels and malto-dextrin based sport drinks can play havoc with your guts.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
man-riding-bike_~pgi0190.jpg

Porridge before, toast with honey and a banana or two. On ride, banana, malt loaf, jelly babies etc... on my first 70 miler I had a big bag of peanuts, choc drops and raisins from Morissons... yum :smile:

snorri

Legendary Member
shades.5 said:
think i will get through a day 70 miles on gels , water , jaffa cakes and energy bars etc
Doubt if I would get through a day on that, without the 70 mile cycle run.:smile:
Get a big flask of tea and some wholesome sandwiches for lunch, and proper fruit too.:biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
simoncc said:
Yes. What do mean by gels? Wine gums, fruit pastilles and that sort of thing? They are excellent for quick energy.

You are having a laugh Simoncc..... quick energy source, wine gums..etc......followed by a very equally quick insulin kick in and a mahooosive bonk...... :smile:

For a long ride read some posts on the site...

For a 100 mile ride. for example......

4 x 700 ml bottles of energy drink - i.e. Isostar long energy...

Eating - just porridge brekkie, and a banana or two....

Ride.... A mix of oat bars, malt loaf, or frusili taken in every 12.5 miles.... works a treat..... i.e fuel with 12 miles, drink a bottle worth every 25 miles....sorted..... so 4 x bottles or more. 8 x bits of fuel....

Abitrary

shades.5 said:

Unless you are caning it, just eat as you would normally and drink lots of water. Maybe a mouthful of chocolate bar every now and again.

Don't make the common mistake of putting on weight whilst cycling.

TVC

No problem, I've done 70 on porridge, a nana and a gel - it's the water you need to keep putting in.

As a point, don't bother buying these energy powders to mix in your bottles. Try 1/3 orange juice, 2/3 tap water and a tiny pinch of sea salt, then drink a big glass of milk when you get home

Keith Oates

Janner
When I do 100 Km rides (almost 70 miles) I have a good breakfast of Porridge or similar and then on the ride use a sports drink (such as Gatorade) and have a couple of bananas. That's out here in the hot weather and I get by OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dudi

last time I did a 70 miler, I had a bowl of porridge and toast (with nutella) for brekkie.

Then on the ride I had 2 bottles of energy drink ( felt I should have had more ) and stopped for a flap-jack half way round.

But i prefer to ride when i feel hollow, it's more comfortable for me. I'd rather take energy drinks that solids while on the bike.

Having said that, I have asked for a goodie bag for christmas, so I can put food stuffs in there for longer rides.

It's up to you because everyone works differently.
The point is that you need to have some food on you because once you feel hungry it's too late.
Generally speaking, have a decent breakfast, and then for your first snack (maybe a couple of hours in) have complex carbs like a flapjack, meusli bar or energy bar (torq; powerbar etc). Do the same a couple of hours after that, and then get home on simple sugars like energy gels or jelly babies. Don't forget to drink plenty and take opportunities to refill your bottles.

For 70 miles I normally just have one lunch stop and that's it.
For anything over 80 I have a short break, then lunch, then another short break.

Top Bottom