For anyone who rides a motorbike ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I had an Irish solicitor pal (now sadly deceased) who didn't put oil in his 750cc Honda. Folklore has it that he said he thought the dipstick was wearing down. Anyway it blew up so he got a 950 engine from a scrappie, which made an already fast bike terrifying. He nearly killed us both doing 80mph out of Bethesda on the A5.

The same man was once riding to Stranraer when the bike suddenly threw a tank slapper. He stopped and checked the oil then carried on, keeping below 100 mph as a precaution. He rode it all the way to Newry and back home to Ripon and on the Monday morning the bike went in for a service. During the morning the mechanic rang him to tell him that not only was the rear tyre worn smooth but the front had lost a complete strip of tread all they way round, right down to the canvas. My pal was pleased to know this because it explained the tank slapper and the reason why the bike had seemed a bit skittish for the last couple of weeks.

Mille

What happened in the Vid? I got bored.

I currently hate my motorbike, the battery is knackered and some bright spark designer thought it would be a good idea to put the battery UNDER the petrol tank. So to remove the battery I have to take half the bike apart.

Genius ;)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Globalti said:
I had an Irish solicitor pal (now sadly deceased) who didn't put oil in his 750cc Honda. Folklore has it that he said he thought the dipstick was wearing down. Anyway it blew up so he got a 950 engine from a scrappie, which made an already fast bike terrifying. He nearly killed us both doing 80mph out of Bethesda on the A5.

I had an Irish mate who was similarly negligent about the maintenance of his motor bikes. He also had no fear unlike his mates who all refused to ride pillion with him.

Norm

Mille said:
What happened in the Vid? I got bored.

I currently hate my motorbike, the battery is knackered and some bright spark designer thought it would be a good idea to put the battery UNDER the petrol tank. So to remove the battery I have to take half the bike apart.

Genius :laugh:
That's an FZ6, isn't it? Can you see the battery without lifting the tank? On the Fazer, lifting the tank just involves undoing one screw at the front of the tank, I take it that it's not as simple on the FZ6. That's progress for you. ;)

Nothing happened in the vid.

Mille

Norm said:
That's an FZ6, isn't it? Can you see the battery without lifting the tank? On the Fazer, lifting the tank just involves undoing one screw at the front of the tank, I take it that it's not as simple on the FZ6. That's progress for you. ;)

Nothing happened in the vid.

Glad I didn't waste a few more minutes of my life then :laugh:

Yep the FZ6, the fairing has to come off, unbolt the tank, lift and move to the side, undo battery housing screw, promptly drop screw into bike somewhere, go to garage to get long magnetic thingy, realise that the screws are unmagnetic, get annoyed, calm down, undo other screw, promptly drop that one inside bike somewhere etc etc etc.

You get the picture.

Norm

IMO, I'd do that once and fit an Optimate cable whilst I was in there. In fact, I fitted an Optimate to the Fazer and I only have to lift the seat to get to the battery. I'm lazy, me. ;)

Mille

Norm said:
IMO, I'd do that once and fit an Optimate cable whilst I was in there. In fact, I fitted an Optimate to the Fazer and I only have to lift the seat to get to the battery. I'm lazy, me. :laugh:

I've had an Accumate on it all winter. ;)

02GF74

Über Member
I don't get the reference to putting oil. AFAIK there was oil and the gases would be blow-back past the valve guides.

What is interesing is how the valve spring retainer and the springs rotate - this is due to the offset and maybe slight angle of the cam lobe.

Have to admit I expected it to blow up but sadly it didn.t

02GF74

Über Member
oh and in case you are wonderiing, I spent a happy hour or two fiting valves to my crossflow head.

Top Bottom