For fixie, 'Take the standard hub and flip the axle' ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Found this while googling:

If you do not want to go through the cost of getting a track hub you can also use a standard threaded rear hub. Take the standard hub and flip the axle around so the side spaced for the freewheel is on the left side. Then redish the wheel so it is centered over the axle again. Put the fixed cog on and secure it with a bottom bracket lockring. You can Locktite the lockring if you want but I have never found it necessary.

Does that sound right? Perhaps with a spacer or two to get a straight chainline? I've never come across the 'flip the axle' idea, but it rings true.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Well its what ive already suggested on your other thread, but without the axle flipping.
I built up my cheap fixed like that, but i didnt flip the axle over.
I just put a spacer on then the sprocket(to get the chainline right) and put the sprocket on tight.
Theres no room for a BB lockring, but if you put the sprocket on tight enough it will be fine.

MartinC

Über Member
I think tyhe term "flipping the axle" is misleading. Old fashioned axles for screw on freewheels were normally a threaded rod onto which the cones were screwed up to the cups and races in the hub. the left hand side normally had spacers to balance the width of the freewheel in a 126 or 130mm OLN set up. If you take off the freewheel (so that you can fit a single sprocket) and take off the spacers you can fit the hub in a 120mm drop out in a fixie frame. To do this you need to adjust the position of the cones on the axle.

I think the flipping idea comes from the fact that you're reversing the postion of the cones. Originally the right hand side one would have been well inboard from the drop out and the threads on this side of the axle were longer. To get the cones where you want you may need to put the axle the other way round. I think it's more applicable to freehubs where the axles themselves may not be symmetrical.

This is really hard to describe - hope it helps!

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Pretty much what MartinC said, it's all about rearranging the spacers on the axle to put the wheel in the correct position in the frame.
Radical re-dishing may be fun though, as the spokes will be the appropriate length to put the rim in the correct position for use with a multiple freewheel.

kit-small-wheels

A zillion years ago it was almost standard practice to have your 5 speed block on one side and a fixed cog on the other side of the same wheel. In the summer you used the derraileur and in the winter the fixed, just by turning the wheel round.

Of course things have 'progressed' since then...... :smile:

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks all - very helpful. And yes, I do understand - very well described! With any luck I'll get to have a go this weekend.

Incidentally, "In the summer you used the derraileur and in the winter the fixed, just by turning the wheel round."

Why? :smile: Not that it matters, needless to say - I'm just curious. Seems an odd thing to do.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
swee said:
The way I read that, the "flip the wheel" bit means put the wheel in the frame the wrong way round, then re-dish the wheel so that it's centred in the frame. Then, put it back in the right way round, but now with a single sprocket screwed on and secured with a bottom bracket lockring.

The bottom bracket lockring won't be directly affected by back pressure on the pedals, so won't tend to unscrew.

NickM

Veteran
swee said:
1. Constant pedalling helps to warm you up and keep you warm
2. Restriction of lower available gear ensures that you don't overdo it in the closed season, and come back fresh in the spring
3. Sociable winter rides are more so when everybody is on the same fixed gear (48 x 19, or 66")
4. Better control on slippery surfaces

...and probably a few other things I've forgotten...

...but not because I am so old that I have first-hand experience of switching to fixed for the winter!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
kit-small-wheels said:
A zillion years ago it was almost standard practice to have your 5 speed block on one side and a fixed cog on the other side of the same wheel. In the summer you used the derraileur and in the winter the fixed, just by turning the wheel round.

Of course things have 'progressed' since then...... :biggrin:

Did the very same.
Reason include those covered by NickM and primarily in my case (commuting in London then), it was low maintainance, mostly unnafected by winter salt and grit and kept the expensive drive train clean, unworn and uncorroded in a nice warm box under the stairs. That is until the Spring whereapon a few hours fettling had her all geared-up and looking like new for the summer season!

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
NickM said:
1. Constant pedalling helps to warm you up and keep you warm
2. Restriction of lower available gear ensures that you don't overdo it in the closed season, and come back fresh in the spring
3. Sociable winter rides are more so when everybody is on the same fixed gear (48 x 19, or 66")
4. Better control on slippery surfaces

...and probably a few other things I've forgotten...

...but not because I am so old that I have first-hand experience of switching to fixed for the winter!
Interesting - ta.

Top Bottom