For Sale: Brian Rourke 21.5" circa 1980 £250 Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DTD

Veteran
rourke photo advert for web.jpg
I bought this Brian Rourke bike recently to ride in L'Eroica Britannia, which I just did – it's done it's job faultlessly so its now up for sale to go towards a new project – the Rourke's always been too small for me, otherwise I'd be keeping it.

The gory details:
It's circa 1980 (I believe) the serial number is 626 if you can find out exactly
21.5" frame – generally good condition a few minor rust spots
The original(?) owner has scratched his name on the bottom bracket and one of the pedals, it has eyelets for mudguards, but no bottle bosses (it came with one of those strap on ones).
Weimann 605 brakes
New no-brand 100mm quill stem
Selle Italia saddle slightly scuffed
TA crank (new non-TA chain ring bolts fitted by LBC)
Suntour Cyclone front mech
Shimano 105 rear and shifters,12 speed
New Shimano chain, rear cassette, Clarke cables, Cinelli bar tape.
The original Shimano QR skewers have been used on the new wheels as they work fine and look more the part.

The wheels issue: I bought a pair of new Weinman 27 1/4" wheels and Schwalbe gum wall tyres and Continental inner tubes and then hit the perennial problem about these fitting the frame – the original wheels were very shallow rims (about 12mm if I've measured them right) and the tyres were 27 7/8 Michelins, so the Weinmans wouldn't line up with the brakes – there was very little clearance with the frame at the back.

So the solution the bike shop came up with is a new 700c Weinman wheel (so the finish matches the front) on the back with a Schwalbe Delta Cruiser tyre as this looks the closest to what's on the back. You'll get the get the old knackered original set of wheels and the brand new 27x1 1/4" Weinmann with a new Schwalbe tyre as well.

You might want to put a 700c on the front and get a longer reach brake to get it to line up. Anyway the bike when sold will come with the spare 27" rear wheel and tyre as well and you can have the original wheels as well if you like, although they're probably too far gone to use.

Withington Cycles (my local and long-suffering LBS) put it all back together, so it's had a full down to the frame service. It changes gear very positively, sounds smooth and even the brakes aren't too bad. So it is completely rideable.

I live in south Manchester – would prefer someone to come and have a look and a ride if interested in buying.

OP
OP
DTD

DTD

Veteran
I hope this doesn't count as a bump – but room must be made for N+1 so there's a sale going on and the Rouke's now £250

Top Bottom