SOLD: For Sale large sized Quality Frameset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
For sale 25 1/4" unknown make frameset ,There is what looks to be HB stamped on underside of bottom bracket , whilst forks have what i think is 1096 stamped on the stearer .

i think this a good quality frameset due to quality of the chrome on the rear triangle and it looks like bottom bracket shell is chromed under the paint .

It measures 25 1/4" from centre of crank to centre of seat pinch bolt hole and is 24" along the top tube and with a set of 27" wheels on it gives 35" stand over .Please note should have 700c wheels on .

Rear drop out width is 126mm and the drive side one is stamped Allez whilst front drop out is 100 mm and these are campag stamped . The fork crown is Reynolds pantographed overall the crhome is good but the inside has flaked away as shown in pics , aprox 230 mm stearer tube . Seams to measure 27.2 seat post hole

2 sets of bottle mounts and has down tube gear lever bosses , takes allen key type brake calipers .

The paintwork is best desribed as scruffy so would recommend a refinish as paint is craked and somebody has rubbed down the top tube and has also partially removed the paint on top of rear stays . Includes a shimano cartrindge style bottom bracket and unknown make Headset .

Frame is in Welling borough NN8 postcode but i am prepared to post .

Asking £50 posted to most uk post codes or £40 collected

loads more pics just ask

frameset.jpg

I'd have that off you if it wasn't such a gate.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
out of interest what do you mean when you say 'such a gate'?
Cheers Ed
Large frames, especially the large frames of yesteryear, eg ones that actually fit folk over six foot plus properly, were disparagingly referred to as gates back in the day as they resemble, in the eyes of the typical post WWII short-arse cyclist who was about five six, a farmers five-bar gate.

Back in the day folk rode frames with very little seatpost showing, google some old pictures, and you'll see "a fistful of post" at most, then we went to seven fingers of post and now most modern frames seem to need at least seven inches - ooh err missus. Now this means the manufacturers need only make a more limited range of frame sizes which is good for them, but not quite so good if it forces you to unwillingly adopt an arse up head down position.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I ride gates btw. I like gates. And I like the way they look retro. But the bottom line is that for my type of cycling they are more comfortable.

On my tourer/commuter I want the bars level with the saddle. The only way to get that these days when you are over six foot is to either have a comedy steerer tube that looks like a giraffe's neck or go old school and ride a gate.

I reckon most people over five ten who aren’t serious racing cyclists (most MAMILS for instance) ride frames that are too small for them and are more uncomfortable over distance and for day-in-day-out riding as a result. But fair play they do look like pro-tour cyclists when out on their bikes. The trend, with sportive and endurance geometry, is towards longer and longer head tubes so maybe we are going back towards the mores of the past to some degree.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Large frames, especially the large frames of yesteryear, eg ones that actually fit folk over six foot plus properly, were disparagingly referred to as gates back in the day as they resemble, in the eyes of the typical post WWII short-arse cyclist who was about five six, a farmers five-bar gate.

Back in the day folk rode frames with very little seatpost showing, google some old pictures, and you'll see "a fistful of post" at most, then we went to seven fingers of post and now most modern frames seem to need at least seven inches - ooh err missus. Now this means the manufacturers need only make a more limited range of frame sizes which is good for them, but not quite so good if it forces you to unwillingly adopt an arse up head down position.
Yep, frame sizes are dictated by fashion as much as function. As you say, back then it was a macho thing to ride the largest frame you could.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I reckon most people over five ten who aren’t serious racing cyclists (most MAMILS for instance) ride frames that are too small for them and are more uncomfortable over distance and for day-in-day-out riding as a result. But fair play they do look like pro-tour cyclists when out on their bikes. The trend, with sportive and endurance geometry, is towards longer and longer head tubes so maybe we are going back towards the mores of the past to some degree.

It does make me smile when I see someone with a tiny frame which they claim they bought because a small frame is stiffer (ie they read it in a magazine) and then they stick half a dozen spacers under the stem and balance the saddle on a scaffold pole.

montage

God Almighty
now listed on lfgss
how has this not gone yet? Looks like a good quality frameset with those specs and for just £50?
I am swamped at the moment and haven't got the time to do anything with it - but if you still have it in around a month I may consider rebuilding my beater bike with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom