For Sale Salsa Vaya 58cm as Super Commuter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Ok, after much faffing I decided to rebuild and sell as a complete bike, and I do mean complete, here are plenty of pics, it is setup for me at 6'1" using flat bars and a 130mm stem:-

http://www.flickr.co...s/37729119@N08/

The cheapest I've seen the frameset alone for is £440 and as a complete bike £1400. For the £730 price you get:-

400 miles use - Salsa Vaya 58cm(585mm effective TT) frame and forks and Salsa liplock seatpost collar, the Salsa size guide rates this frame from 5'11" ro 6'3"
400 miles use - Headset - BBB turnaround in black
0 miles use - Bottom Bracket - Shimano external bearings that came with M590 chainset
lots miles use - 2 x black alloy bottle cages
20 miles use - black hybrid mudguards can accomodate tyres up to 700x42 which is frame limit with mudguards anyway
80 miles use - Silver Tortec rack rated for up to 25kg
lots of miles use - BBB rubber ergo style grips with right one cut down to accomodate twist shifter
0 miles use - Avid Speed Dial 7 brake levers, brand new
0 miles use - Goodridge inner and outer brake cables, compressionless outer
low mileage - Ritchey Comp riser bars in 31.8 clamp
low mileage - 8 speed chain with powerlink and chain tensioner
low mileage - Shimano Deore chainset, black 175mm cranks, setup with Thorn 38t steel reversible chainring in middle position, Thorn bashguard outer and no inner, but bolts are there.
loads - pedals are some old ones with plastic cages but no straps I had lying around, only put on to allow testing of bike
0 miles use - Avid BB7 MTB disc brake calipers, brand new and now added new centrelock rotor to front wheel
lots of miles use - Tektro 160mm rotor rear only front is new Shimano, please don't ask what happened to the shiny new ones that came with the BB7s, think neighbour in need!!! but these rotors are fine and have plenty of life left in them
400 miles use - BBB headset spacers in black
200 miles use - FSA OS 150 6 deg 100mmx31.8 clamp 4 bolt stem, option for 110/120/130 stem instead
lots of miles use - old Raleigh Selle Royeal saddle, put on as I don't have another saddle I'm prepared to part with
lots of miles use - Bikehut inline seatpost 400mmx27.2mm black body and silver saddle clamp - never been a problem
400 miles use - Alfine dynamo front wheel
2 miles use - Spesh 700x28-38 tubes and Marathon 700x32 tyres - basically only been used round the block a few times in setups
3000 miles use - SRAM I-9 internal gear hub wheel built into a Mavic A719 black rim - had one fault when the hub seized in Jan 2010 after the bike it was in then was wheeled through deep snow. Returned to SRAM in Germany and internals replaced, has been faultless since but I'd avoid deep snow in future with it :biggrin:

So, set of dynamo lights and you've got a year round super commuter, I'm happy to chat about supplying drops rather than flat bars. The sale will also include 2 spare rear cogs a new 21t that matches the one on the bike and the original 20t that has plenty of life in it. Plus you get the bar end adaptor to run the twist shifter on drop bars if you want.

Sizing- with drop bars this bike covers the range 5'11" to 6'3"
with flats - I estimate it to cover 5'9" to 6'1", basing this on the fact that I want a 120/130 stem for flat bars on it

Price is £730 delivered or £710 collected this gives two options:-

1 - as it is
2 - with drop bars but no brake levers, bar tape or brake cable inners

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Have fully built up now and some new pics added:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37729119@N08/

changes are:-

BB7 brakes now fitted
Stem swapped to brand new FSA 130mm saddle nose to centre of bars in pic is now 560/5mm
Both grips fitted and bar ends added
New chain fitted

I have a chain tensioner arriving tomorrow which will take up the bit of slack in the chain. Only cautionary note is the front rotor will need replacing sooner rather than later, I've trued it but there's a limit to how much truing you can do on a rotor. It's a 6 bolt rotor fitted to the Alfine centrelock hub with a Shimano 6 bolt adaptor. Personally I'd take replacing the rotor time as an opportunity to fit a centrelock rotor and do away with the adaptor.

So, as it is, ready to ride, fully operational it's £750 delivered or £730 collected.

I can also replace the chainset and tensioner with the Deore Hollowtech II chainset, fitted with Thorn steel reversible 38t chainring, plus Thorn bashguard and put on the FC EBB to provide chain tension instead. That would take the price up to £850 delivered or £830 collected.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Ok, fully built now and 14 new pics added, plus slight price drop, otherwise will be going elsewhere:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37729119@N08/

I decided to put the dedicated SS/Hub gear chainset back on and the chain tensioner is fitted. Still two sale options but just one price now:-

£730 including shipping so £710 collected

Option 1 - as you see it now
Option 2 - minus the bars, brake levers and brake cable inners but with addition of drop bars and stem to suit - you would need to add new brake cable inners(with correct end to suit drop bar levers), Tektro RL520 levers and tape the bars yourself

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

I'm so tempted, it looks lovely.

Must resist.

Absolutely, you should resist, it's a pity you don't live further away then you wouldn't have the opportunity to, not only test ride, but also to tweak fit and position with the parts I have available. I'd even walk through the tweaks and setup with you, including the brakes, so that you went away with a bike and an intimate knowledge of how to maintain it correctly....all part of the service

But no, you should resist temptation :whistle:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Absolutely, you should resist, it's a pity you don't live further away then you wouldn't have the opportunity to, not only test ride, but also to tweak fit and position with the parts I have available. I'd even walk through the tweaks and setup with you, including the brakes, so that you went away with a bike and an intimate knowledge of how to maintain it correctly....all part of the service

But no, you should resist temptation :whistle:

Stop it! ;)

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Following an info request last night I thought I should post up the sizing variance between a drop or flat bar setup for this bike:-

drops - 5'11" to 6'3"
flats - 5'9" to 6'1"

This is based on setting it up for me at 6'1" with flat bars and I'd want a 120/130mm stem

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Well, despite hundreds of views there's surprisingly little interest so I can only assume that's around the hub gear setup. I can break this down, if doing so the alfine dynamo front wheel is already dibbed. What I could offer is:-

£450 delivered or £430 collected - which is cost of frameset to buy - to include, frame, forks, headset, spacers, stem of choice(100/110/130) flat or drop bars, bottle cages, seatpost clamp, seatpost, saddle, mudguards and rack

this works out at 30% off what the above would cost to buy new right now

I'd also offer the chainset and BB seperately, probably more suited to a hub gear , SS or fixed application though. Everything else I'll either keep or have buyers for.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Now removed from sale due to offers on parts, if admin could please close or move thread as appropriate....thanks....Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom