For what it's worth.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have seen many responces to the cost of a good bike for touring. I think that it's like the old saying. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I toured on a wally mnt bike for 10 years. Of course I upgraded when a part wore out. I bet the crap out of bikes on everything from pavement to dirt. At peak I did a perimeter tour of the US. Took a year. Usually I did about 5,000 miles in an average year. As parts wear out anyway I had only the frame left unchanged after 2 years. I did replace the front fork with a ridgid fork from a second hand bike. I really liked the modifications I had done. If my hip hadn't gone bad I would still be riding my old clunker.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Did you get to visit Wally World on your Wally tour?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
You are bang on Craig. People have toured on all and everything. Sadly so many who would otherwise consider riding daily for whatever reason are bombarded with a 'special' bike for everything mentality it seems. The equivalent of living in Chelsea and owning an all singing 4x4 that never goes further than Waitrose.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
You are bang on Craig. People have toured on all and everything. Sadly so many who would otherwise consider riding daily for whatever reason are bombarded with a 'special' bike for everything mentality it seems. The equivalent of living in Chelsea and owning an all singing 4x4 that never goes further than Waitrose.
What’s wrong with owning more than one bike ?! It’s just as valid as those who are still touring on their grifters :rolleyes:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I have seen many responces to the cost of a good bike for touring. I think that it's like the old saying. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I toured on a wally mnt bike for 10 years. Of course I upgraded when a part wore out. I bet the crap out of bikes on everything from pavement to dirt. At peak I did a perimeter tour of the US. Took a year. Usually I did about 5,000 miles in an average year. As parts wear out anyway I had only the frame left unchanged after 2 years. I did replace the front fork with a ridgid fork from a second hand bike. I really liked the modifications I had done. If my hip hadn't gone bad I would still be riding my old clunker.
This is the equivalent of triggers broom lol . :laugh:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I agree. Additional bikes for various purposes are, in my view, a waste of money if my current bike will do the job. I've got better things to do with my cash

I'm doing a 10 day tour next month. On my regular carbon road bike. It isn't a "tourer" but I'm not going to waste a wedge of cash on one when my current bike will do.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's a fine and true sentiment that you can tour on anything, although on the flipside there's also nothing wrong with spending some money on your ideal tourer. It's not perverse to spend money on something you enjoy and get a lot out of. I was so satisfied with the one I bought 18 months back that I sold my road bike a year on, I knew I'd never really ride it again.

Top Bottom