Forever cleaning my wheel rims & B blocks to prevent abrasion “damage” .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Brake compounds don't work that way and you cannot cool them from behind.
For the second time today (I think), I agree with you. I also thought they must be a swine to line up with the rim, with that circular metal obstructing your view and offering little indication if the pad orientation has shifted while you tightened the nut.

For the second time today (I think), I agree with you. I also thought they must be a swine to line up with the rim, with that circular metal obstructing your view and offering little indication if the pad orientation has shifted while you tightened the nut.
Yea, what a crap idea. And at what point does the circle start to touch the tyre. 25mm tyre? 28mm tyre?

Reactions: mjr
D

Deleted member 1258

I usually get mine from Spa cycles; they're often cheaper than Wiggle, but note that their free postage doesn't kick in until an order value of £50, compared with Wiggle's £10.

Yes I get mine from Spa as well, the illustration is of grey pads but they do the salmons as well.
Interesting thread, I'm someone who has never had this problem, usually by the time rim wear becomes a problem the wheel is seven or eight years old and its not worth just changing the rim, if I've changed a wheel early its usually because of damage, pothole usually, its a good excuse for a wheel upgrade.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s104p1591

Globalti

Legendary Member
Those round brake pads ought to be sold in Lakeland, which is a shop just outside Windermere that sells solutions looking for problems.

Svendo

Guru
I'm using Swisstop green pads and I'm finding them just as bad as Shimano pads for holding grit although the softer compound does grab a little better.

That annoying, I've just got a set of those to try next, been using koolstops normally. I'll put them on the best bike which will get less wet use now I have a proper mud guarded winter/commuter.

I`ve fitted two sets of Kool-stop Salmon. I have only been out in dry weather lately about 6 times over the last fortnight. I like them so far, and there are no signs of the blocks picking up particles of aluminium. Very nice blocks, and worth paying the extra money to protect the rims.

The packing washers that are supplied with the blocks include two dish-shaped washers. These allow for positioning on the rims when fitting. The idea is that you align the blocks with the rims and screw the alan type nuts up just finger tight. Squeezing the brake lever allows the blocks to seat/swivel into position. I found that nipping up the nuts with the alan key while holding the brake lever seems to be the way to go, but not too tight. This is maybe the standard type of washer for blocks?
Here is the “fleabay” item No 121779106342
The photo was taken before I realised what the dish washers were for (read the fitting instructions:whistle: ). I removed and refitted the washers correctly :notworthy:
Kool-stop Salmon.jpg

Top Bottom