Fork crown race

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LizardEye

I know that when fitting new forks I have to take off the original crown race and fit it to the new forks, but does this apply when fitting used forks? I've bought some on ebay and am fitting them this week and would appreciate some advice. So do I leave on the one that is on the new fork, or use the one that's on the current fork.?

cheers ahead

tyred

Legendary Member
Unless you are absolutely certain that the headset type is the same, I would use the one of your current fork. They may look similar at a casual glance but the bearing surfaces may not match up properly if the two headsets are different types.

02GF74

Über Member
^^^ what he said. if the race fitted is in good condition: no pits and is same, then leave on. it is easy and quick enough to fit the fork and then spin the forks and see ifthey move smoothly.

if race is ball bearings (curved race), then chnaces are they will be comaptible but if the surface is flat, then they are for roller bearings.

Big John

Guru
If the crown race on the new forks looks in good nick and appears to be the same as on your current forks then l'd leave it. I bought a new 1" headset last year and fitting a new crown race was a pig. It's do-able but best left alone if possible. The old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies.

Top Bottom