Fork Identification

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve-W

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on the possible tubing used on these forks . Information I can supply is as follows: Date circa 1998 , Weight 685grms (19.5cm steerer) , Full Sloping crown, no visible lugs, Columbus dropouts , fitted to a Mick Coward hand built Emperor Sport ( U.K ) Frame number stamped on steerer tube ( EMP712 ). I have been led to believe if the weight is under 700grams its possibly 531, but I have wondered if it could be columbus tubing, the frame is Reynolds 853. Many thanks

View media item 10923View media item 10920View media item 10925View media item 10926

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If unicrown type like these with Colombus drop outs more than likely they will be made from Columbus tube.

04.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm really no expert I think it's just a case of trawling the web until you find something to match.
I found these which look similar which are listed as Columbus SL forks.

s-l225.jpg

OP
OP
Steve-W

Steve-W

That looks very similar, thank you for your help.
Having looked at a few weights quoted for Columbus SL forks they all seem in the mid 700 grams + ... also there is no Columbus logo (bird) stamped on the steerer tube, (not always present) and also no internal spirals in the steerer tube either ( a columbus feature on SL & SLX I believe ) .
I guess I might never find out lol.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's an internally-lugged "aero" crown. They used to be very popular although they do create a nasty stress raiser - luckily *one* broken fork blade is not especially dangerous

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Thank you...the crown on my forks is more angular , I am afraid I am not sure of the term used for this type.
View media item 10926

The fork crown is internally lugged, so the blades fit over the lugs to give the one-piece appearance.

OP
OP
Steve-W

Steve-W

From the photos that looks suspiciously like a Raleigh SBDU (Special Bike Developement Unit) crown

View attachment 437528

more photos/gen https://www.vintagevelo.co.uk/shop/frames/raleigh-sbdu-753-frame/
They certainly do look very similar, although those have Campy dropouts, mine has Columbus ones. Its interesting to see the Raleigh ones have a Cinelli crown. I am waiting to hear back from Mick Coward who built the frame and bike, unfortunately his build records were destroyed by flooding some years ago, and its a bit of a tall order expecting him to remember the details after 20 years ....but I live in hope. Thanks for your help

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve-W

Steve-W

Well query answered. I have just received a letter from Mick Coward who built the frame/bike, see quote below:

"Hi Steve, the frame was built with Reynolds 853 tubing, including the front forks, the special tube sets always came within a box, unlike the standard 531, one of each Top Tube, Seat Tube, Down Tube, plus two Chain Stays, 2 Seat Stays and 2 Fork Blades, the fork steerer was standard Reynolds Steerer."

I'm happy with that :smile: Thank you for all your responses.

Top Bottom