Fork oil leakage. Damaged seals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi there,

I have this 2009 RockShox Argyle 318 fork that I want to sell. It is brand new, never mounted, never used. I had it sitting around in its box since I bought it. The only problem is that a few years ago I laid it down on the floor (not standing, to clear up any confusion) and when I checked back on it a few months later (~ 10 months ) I noticed oil had been leaking between the seals. Right after I put the fork in the standing position. The amount of oil that was leaked wasn't much at all. Is this normal to happen or the seals were damaged during that period of 10 months? Or were they just temporary damaged, so to speak, as seals are made out of elastic materials. And as it is with elastic materials, they turn back to their initial form once force ceases being subjected onto them. The seals present no cracks whatsoever. Also, how come all the oil didn't leak? Could've something else been damaged during that time as well?
I don't want to hide anything from the customer, all I want is to get a fair price for what it is.

Thank you!

P.S.: The temperature I kept the fork at was ranging between 32 F ( 0 C ) and 95 F ( 35 C ), no humidity, and I kept it away from sunlight. There weren't any sudden changes of temperature.
I'm selling the fork only in my country, which is not part of America.

A suspension fork like that has oil in two different compartments - splash oil in the two legs and damper oil in the damper.

You don't say where the oil leaked out.

However, oil shouldn't leak from a fork. But lets find out where it leaked from before rushing to conclusions. Photos would help too.

OP
OP
B

bikeuser12341231

A suspension fork like that has oil in two different compartments - splash oil in the two legs and damper oil in the damper.

You don't say where the oil leaked out.

However, oil shouldn't leak from a fork. But lets find out where it leaked from before rushing to conclusions. Photos would help too.

I'm sorry, I'm a fork illiterate. But I'm trying my best to explain. The oil leaked between the area where the sliding chrome arms get in touch with the rubber seals. Here are two pictures of it to make it easier to understand.

Attachments

• R arm.jpg
    R arm.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 12
  • L arm.jpg
    L arm.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 12

Levo-Lon

Guru
As Yellow sadle says.
I suspect its simply the splash oil.

But the damper oil will be emulsified id think so a quick oil service will sort them.

I'm sorry, I'm a fork illiterate. But I'm trying my best to explain. The oil leaked between the area where the sliding chrome arms get in touch with the rubber seals. Here are two pictures of it to make it easier to understand.
OK, so it leaked at the stanchions through the stanchion seals.

I suspect these have hardened, but it is difficult to say without looking at them. You have a look. Lift the seal from the stanchion (the chrome bit) with your fingernail and look for fine cracks or other signs of hardening. Either way, the seals have to be replaced. It is an easy job for someone in the know or who has some tools and the will to research.

You don't need much other than a 6mm allen key, a pick, a flat screwdriver and the kit, which comprises seals, foam rings, crush washers and one or two bits and bobs not directly related to this leak. Sell it as is, just declare the leak. It isn't a game-changer for someone who knows what's what.

Last edited:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I think this one will cover your fork

http://www.sportgen.ru/files/manuals/rock_shox_manual.pdf

OP
OP
B

bikeuser12341231

I suspect these have hardened, but it is difficult to say without looking at them. You have a look. Lift the seal from the stanchion (the chrome bit) with your fingernail and look for fine cracks or other signs of hardening. Either way, the seals have to be replaced. It is an easy job for someone in the know or who has some tools and the will to research.

I have just checked them out the way you mentioned and they don't seem to present any cracks or any hardening (at least that's how it feels to me regarding hardening; for you, having more experience, you might get a different feel).

Top Bottom