Foul Mouth Idiots Cycling In Swinley Forest Bracknell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Badwolf74

My self and my girlfriend were out for a walk yesterday morning when a group of six to eight lycra clad mountain bikers came past us then braked hard and skidded behind a group of old age pensioners walking there dogs about a few yards in front of us. When the oap's said we didnt hear you coming they got a mouthful of abuse (obscenities) as they tore off down the track at speed which was utterly contemptuous of the rights of other people enjoying the area.

I have no idea who you are, or who you think you are, but your behaviour was, irresponsible, selfish, and reckless. A passing walker said that this was typical of a small minority of regular riders which he sees on a frequent basis, you are stupid and dangerous idiots with all the gear and no idea, and as i said to the group such a brave bunch you were swearing at old peaple while riding off. I love to walk & Cycle in that park but its PRATS like you that give considarate cyclists a bad name.

delport

I agree, i generally hold my tongue if i get annoyed or irritated while cycling.
I see a lot of folk on the cycle side of paths when they ought to be on the other lane, but i will take the other path to avoid going near the pedestrian.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My self and my girlfriend were out for a walk yesterday morning when a group of six to eight lycra clad mountain bikers came past us then braked hard and skidded behind a group of old age pensioners walking there dogs about a few yards in front of us. When the oap's said we didnt hear you coming they got a mouthful of abuse (obscenities) as they tore off down the track at speed which was utterly contemptuous of the rights of other people enjoying the area.

I have no idea who you are, or who you think you are, but your behaviour was, irresponsible, selfish, and reckless. A passing walker said that this was typical of a small minority of regular riders which he sees on a frequent basis, you are stupid and dangerous idiots with all the gear and no idea, and as i said to the group such a brave bunch you were swearing at old peaple while riding off. I love to walk & Cycle in that park but its PRATS like you that give considarate cyclists a bad name.

Mountain bikers eh :rolleyes:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
OK, seriously.
Unfortunately there are all kinds of Wayne-kers in the world and some of them choose to ride bikes. As in many walks of life, the few spoil it for the many. As a unreserved lycra-roadie I suffer from the antics of the RLJers.
I wish I had an answer. But there's no answer to ignorance.

Norm

The issue with Swinley is that it's designated an MTB area, people have to pay to take their bikes in there and (road tax-style debate approaching) they think that gives them some sort of right to act as jerks.

I cycle in Swinley a fair bit but I'd never walk there, there are so many better, prettier and quieter areas within just a few hundred yards of the place.

henshaw11

Curiously - unless it's changed - the SE corner's vaguely designated as a MTB area, tho' it rather beats me as to why, there's (BOBMBC-maintained) singletrack all over...historical, or to push anyone without local knowledge over that way? - it's been like that as long as I've been riding there...

They do, indeed, sound like ignorant t*ts...tho' I would add:

>as they tore off down the track at speed which was utterly contemptuous of the rights of other people enjoying the area.

..if the way's can be seen to be *clear* there's actually no reason why they shouldn't hoon off at speed, it's just a matter of being sensible/courteous when approaching anyone else using the fireroads - the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Norm

Curiously - unless it's changed - the SE corner's vaguely designated as a MTB area, tho' it rather beats me as to why, there's (BOBMBC-maintained) singletrack all over...historical, or to push anyone without local knowledge over that way? - it's been like that as long as I've been riding there...
That area is the "expert mountain bike area", it's all pretty well signposted and the only non-MTBers I've seen in that area were on horses. :thumbsup:

Bicycle

It's odd to read this thread, but not surprising.

I ride XC a bit and often hear good friends who walk tutting about the MTB crowd.

The more I protest that I don't buzz people, the more they mutter that I'm in a minority.

These are long-standing friends or respected colleagues, not extremist, fundamentalist hikers.

I'm in no doubt that anti-social MTB riders are out there, I've just never seen them.

It sort of embarrasses me that I'm linked by common pursuit to such ugly personalities, but I imagine I'm stuck with that label.

The only time I've received 'verbal' from walkers was on the Brecon Beast after a big fall and a puncture.

I was fishing gravel out of a tyre ready for the new tube, with bleeding knuckles and aching joints... when a spread-out group of hikers came past me and every sub-group gave me a very similar (very mocking) piece of faux encouragement. I imagine they'd had their walk ruined by 300+ competitors storming past them, so I just bit my (bleeding) lip and carried on feeling sorry for myself.

I sort of understood where they were coming from, but took it personally nonetheless.

MTB riding is huge fun, but there is room for everyone.

henshaw11

That area is the "expert mountain bike area", it's all pretty well signposted and the only non-MTBers I've seen in that area were on horses. :thumbsup:

The only other non-mtbers I've seen there, other than walkers, have been squaddies ;)

OP
OP
B

Badwolf74

Just would like to add we have walked the area a few times and have meet and spoken to many cyclist and as i said i cycle in the area myself as often as possible, but this is the first time i have herd such a foul mouthed verbal attack on a group of walkers. and to answer the post about it being a expert mountain bike area there is a mountian bike trail leading to the area we were on one of the forest trails.

There are good and bad in all walks of life i just hope that one of the riders yesterday might read this post and some of the reply's and just stop and think before they tell folk to F@~K OFF for just being in the same air space as them.

lukesdad

Just would like to add we have walked the area a few times and have meet and spoken to many cyclist and as i said i cycle in the area myself as often as possible, but this is the first time i have herd such a foul mouthed verbal attack on a group of walkers. and to answer the post about it being a expert mountain bike area there is a mountian bike trail leading to the area we were on one of the forest trails.

There are good and bad in all walks of life i just hope that one of the riders yesterday might read this post and some of the reply's and just stop and think before they tell folk to F@~K OFF for just being in the same air space as them.

Hopefully they won t read it. Eh ?

Top Bottom