Frames and swapping over components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
I'm looking into getting a second hand frame from ebay and swapping over the components from my Hybrid to it. Having never done this before, what frames would be best to go for. If I got a hardtail MTB frame would that be okay or would there be a problem with the tyre sizes? My hybrid is the usual 700c and I think most MTBs are 26inch?
Anything else I should look out for?

ta

PpPete

Legendary Member
I seem to be swopping components betweeen frames all the time, but they are all basically "roadies".
If your hybrid components are based around 700c wheel you may find they dont fit an MTB frame which is more likely to be sized for a 26" wheel.... but you can only "suck it and see". Use Sheldon, bike tutor, and shimano tech docs pages. Anything you can't figure out, there's plenty of experts on here to help with detail questions.

02GF74

Über Member
I think the width between drop outs is different between mountain and road bike frames; so not only wheels are different diameter, they are different width at the axle.

also frame tubing diameter hence front mech, if band on and seat post may not be swappable etc.

some stuff will fit, some won't.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out in detail.
One quick Q - looking at frames, many say things like "suitable for 1" forks". The spec on my bike says headset 1 18" sealed mech. Does that mean my forks would be too big?

Mortiroloboy

Plax said:
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out in detail.
One quick Q - looking at frames, many say things like "suitable for 1" forks". The spec on my bike says headset 1 18" sealed mech. Does that mean my forks would be too big?

Yes.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Most MTB's are 1 and 1/8th headset or bigger - not seen any 1" ones....other than el cheapo.....

If you are keeping forks, then you'll need similar head tube heights or your forks won't fit - if the MTB's head tube is longer. Also Ahead or Threadded ?

As mentioned you'll need new wheels/tyres. Most stuff should swap over - watch seat tube size as well - that may affect front mech and seat post "swapability".

Rear axels on MTB's are 135mm (road is 130mm), front is 100 - same as road/hybrid

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
One that's caught me out is bottom bracket/chainsets. I always assumed they were all the same, but I gave my mate an old Campagnolo chainset I had hanging around for the Motobecane he got off ebay, and it wouldn't fit on the spindle. (Both road bikes, I should add - I don't know nuthin 'bout MTB/hybrids)

Top Bottom