Frankenstien's monster's nuts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mac66

...and bolts. I bet he never had this problem.

Not sure where to put this post as it's sort of newbie-tech but I am not very new and it's not awfully tech. So cafe it is.

I am having a fettling induced anxiety attack about my bike's bolt threads.

You see, I made the mistake of doing a bit of research. On the one hand I am supposed to use thread lock, to make sure that my bolts don't work loose. On the other, I am supposed to coat the threads in a copper-based grease to stop them siezing up.

Well i can't very well do both can I? On the same thread?

Advice please before I have to go and lie down in a dark room and breathe into a brown paper bag.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Mac66 said:
...and bolts. I bet he never had this problem.

Not sure where to put this post as it's sort of newbie-tech but I am not very new and it's not awfully tech. So cafe it is.

I am having a fettling induced anxiety attack about my bike's bolt threads.

You see, I made the mistake of doing a bit of research. On the one hand I am supposed to use thread lock, to make sure that my bolts don't work loose. On the other, I am supposed to coat the threads in a copper-based grease to stop them siezing up.

Well i can't very well do both can I? On the same thread?

Advice please before I have to go and lie down in a dark room and breathe into a brown paper bag.

Threadlock the ones that you don't want to undo as a matter of routine, especially the ones that would be vulnerable to vibrating loose. Copper grease the ones that you will regularly mainitain. Copper grease every bolt which screws into a different type of metal, eg a steel boss in an alu frame.

I use grease where I have had problems getting things loose - bottom bracket and pedals - and thread lock to stop important bits working loose - the stem and brakes.

Top Bottom