free Brompton workstand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roley poley

Über Member

does any one else do this? Lean your saddle back to the floor and you can fettle lots of stuff in the field

gizmo1994

Yes, Very sensible method. It works for me.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've got that problem - a wonky chainline when on the big ring.
I might just swap the chainrings over and have the big one on the inside. It'll look odd, but if you like things to look normal then perhaps a Brompton isn't the ideal starting position :biggrin:

12boy

Guru
I too had this problem with the 58 tooth on the inside and the 38 outside. Reversed this and no problems except I found it a bit nicer to change between rings with the smaller outside. It's been there so long I am not sure but I have a Shimano 118 BB. The crank is a 110 BCD with holes drilled for a 3rd chainring. Tried a 24 and it worked fine when pedalling but hit the rear triangle when folded so it went away. Bromptons are so much fun to tinker with!​

OP
OP
roley poley

roley poley

Über Member
I've got that problem - a wonky chainline when on the big ring.
I might just swap the chainrings over and have the big one on the inside. It'll look odd, but if you like things to look normal then perhaps a Brompton isn't the ideal starting position :biggrin:
thanks for the idea will try the big outer small inner with same 4mm spacers between and let you know what happens .I prefer mechanical efficiency over visual beauty and when the two come together find myself with a warm smile

12boy

Guru
I didn't need any spacers but you might. I like the look of a second chain ring, and I like the look of me going up a grade without blowing out my ancient knees, having an aneurysm or a heart attack. I don't often use the little chain ring but when I do it's great to have it. Adds very little weight and paradoxically permits higher gearing since my 58 tooth chain ring isn't my only option.

u_i

Über Member
Lean your saddle back to the floor and you can fettle lots of stuff in the field

Thanks! I normally flipped the B upside down, but that required doing something about the handlebars. This involves less nuisance and the bike that has a rack stays more stable.

OP
OP
roley poley

roley poley

Über Member
I didn't need any spacers but you might. I like the look of a second chain ring, and I like the look of me going up a grade without blowing out my ancient knees, having an aneurysm or a heart attack. I don't often use the little chain ring but when I do it's great to have it. Adds very little weight and paradoxically permits higher gearing since my 58 tooth chain ring isn't my only option.
its a stronglite 38 x50 on a 15 rear no more handlebar heave which I feel was bad for the man and bike

OP
OP
roley poley

roley poley

Über Member
Thanks! I normally flipped the B upside down, but that required doing something about the handlebars. This involves less nuisance and the bike that has a rack stays more stable.
it keeps my old sram trigger shifter off the mud or pavement

Top Bottom