Freesat Box?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I don't know I don't have an aerial, but was considering putting one up to use it.

Not having Freeview, I'm struggling to understand how catch-up programmes are delivered over the air. Can someone please explain ?

Mike_P

Guru
IME Catch up is via a broadband wifi or ethernet connection. The Freeview Play catch up is simply a bungling together of all the catch up apps and might be extended via the schedule in the same way a BT box does ; not that BT are in my good books as having lost a number of channels recently I discovered I could not play recording of programmes I have done off those deleted channels:sad:

D

Deleted member 26715

Not having Freeview, I'm struggling to understand how catch-up programmes are delivered over the air. Can someone please explain ?
IME Catch up is via a broadband wifi or ethernet connection. The Freeview Play catch up is simply a bungling together of all the catch up apps and might be extended via the schedule in the same way a BT box does ; not that BT are in my good books as having lost a number of channels recently I discovered I could not play recording of programmes I have done off those deleted channels:sad:
I don't know but my Android TV says I need an aerial to use it unless I understood it wrong

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Think I might just bin all the VM guff and see how we get on using catch up services with just a BB supplier, (potentially Plusnet).

Then if it's not ideal for any reason I can always just get a Freesat box and bung that in to give us the recording facilities.

The only thing I'm reluctant to do is tie into a new contract for BB TBH.

I've also looked into the mobile BB deals from the likes of 3 and VODAFONE, but they seem to get pretty poor reviews, so I think a 'proper' BB supply will be essential.

I know there are monthly rolling contracts with some suppliers, VM for example, but I object to being overcharged for the same product just because I don't want to be tied in :cursing:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Think I might just bin all the VM guff and see how we get on using catch up services with just a BB supplier, (potentially Plusnet).
If you go the Plusnet route, get a friend or relative who is already on Plusnet to officially recommend you. They would then get a discount on their bill for as long as you stay with the company. If you don't know anybody who (LIKE ME... :laugh:) is a CUSTOMER, then you would not be able to do that. :whistle:

I've also looked into the mobile BB deals from the likes of 3 and VODAFONE, but they seem to get pretty poor reviews, so I think a 'proper' BB supply will be essential.
Last year, in the aftermath of a fire, we lost our landline. While awaiting re-engineering (amazing what it takes to replace a fried cable sometimes...), I used a dedicated tethered 4G phone, a Nokia 8110 4G. We have a good signal here, but I found it very variable as to speed. As it happens, I'm on Plusnet, extra Fibre, 69Mbps average. No issues, particularly since the line was re-made.

ColinJ

If you go the Plusnet route, get a friend or relative who is already on Plusnet to officially recommend you. They would then get a discount on their bill for as long as you stay with the company. If you don't know anybody who (LIKE ME... :laugh:) is a CUSTOMER, then you would not be able to do that. :whistle:
Joking aside, if you find something like 20 people to recommend and they stay with Plusnet, you could pretty much cover the entire cost of your own BB. I'm not sure if they actually pay you cash if you find even more customers for them than that? PS Actually, they DO - I just checked HERE.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
I shall bear that you in mind Mr J :laugh:

Another annoyance though is when I checked availability for Plusnet it's telling me I need a BT phone point, so that's another cost and more hassle.

AlanW

Guru
We have been using the box in question since last July after our faithful Humax box failed after a good many years of excellent service. On the whole its good and functions in a very similar way to the old Humax box, but does occasionally throw a hissy fit that results in me having to disconnect the mains cable to reset it? For example, the sound will mute and the remote control refuses to switch the sound back on is one little thing it does from time to time? The box is getting the signal from the remote because you can see the blue light flash on the Freesat box.

It also had a really annoying habit of doing some rather strange things on a regular basis if you were watching a pre recorded programme as the clock struck 7pm. :wacko: So bizarre and in truth I didn't notice the connection to the time will I spoke to Freesat.

I reported the problem a few months back direct to Freesat which they said they already knew about and were in the process of doing a software update to resolve it. Which given the fact that it hasn't done it in weeks, suggests that they have resolved the issue now?

ColinJ

I reported the problem a few months back direct to Freesat which they said they already knew about and were in the process of doing a software update to resolve it. Which given the fact that it hasn't done it in weeks, suggests that they have resolved the issue now?
You can usually see in the system details what version of software you are on. The old boxes stated when that version was uploaded.

Top Bottom