freewheel sprocket noise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulmars

does this noise mean anything?

The bike was not used and left outside for a long time. The freewheel sprocket spun free in both directions. After removing it and dripping oil thru it in both directions it appeared to work fine. Once reinstalled it still works fine, but does make this noise when I stop peddling. With bike upside down and rear wheel spinning freely i can also fell the noise as a vibration in the frame.

Im considering rebuilding and selling this bike. Ive done this for many bikes, but this is my 1st with this issue. Everything else on bike is fine. Except that all the cables need to be replaced, which Ive done before.

When i had the rear sprocket off i cleaned and repacked the rear wheel bearings(something I have done before).

Might there be an issue with the freewheel sprocket down the road after Ive sold the bike?

Hyper Havoc 21 speed.

noise:

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/B3ge8bCQrfE

Yes while peddling you can hear a higher pitch front sprocket chain noise that I will take care of when I adjust the shifting, Im not asking about this.

tks,
paul

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Bearings in the freewheel are knackered, I'd fit a new one and a new chain. Not that expensive.

si_c

Guru
Bearings in the freewheel are knackered, I'd fit a new one and a new chain. Not that expensive.

This, the bearings in the freewheel are toast, I'd expect that all the grease has washed out during it's outdoor camping experience and that the pawls on the ratchet are similarly free from any lubrication. Putting some oil in will have loosened it up somewhat, but unless you want to spend the time to tear down and rebuild the freewheel then a replacement is likely cheaper and quicker.

Big John

Guru
Before you go forking out on a screw on block remove the block and just spin the wheel in your hands. If those hub bearings are ok then you'll know it's the block. My money will be on the hub bearings but this check will remove any doubt. If you're planning to get a new chain chances are you'll need a new block anyway but I still think it could be the hub bearings. Packing it with grease doesn't solve anything if the ball bearings are pitted.

si_c

Guru
Before you go forking out on a screw on block remove the block and just spin the wheel in your hands. If those hub bearings are ok then you'll know it's the block. My money will be on the hub bearings but this check will remove any doubt. If you're planning to get a new chain chances are you'll need a new block anyway but I still think it could be the hub bearings. Packing it with grease doesn't solve anything if the ball bearings are pitted.

It's definitely the freewheel - until he oiled it there was no ratcheting and it spun freely in both directions. In all likelihood if the ratchet pawls had stuck the grease on the internal bearings is also shot. That's not to say that the hub bearings don't need greasing, but it is of secondary concern.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

The OP says he'd already removed it.

Top Bottom