Freewheel Wobble - How much is 'normal'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Malkin

Veteran
I have read elsewhere that a certain amount of 'wobble' is normal in a freewheel when it is freewheeling, but how much constitutes 'normal'?

This video shows my freewheel doing it's stuff, how does it compare with others?

tyred

Legendary Member
I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Grab the freewheel when it is stationary and try and rock it to see if there is any play in the freewheel bearing. If so, you can tighten the bearing race with a hammer and drift if you really want to (applies to thread on type only).

compo

Veteran
Looking at the video that movement is absolutely normal. I have two bikes with freewheels, one a brand new freewheel that hasn't even been out on the road yet, and they both move just like yours (I went out and had a look!).

OP
OP
Steve Malkin

Steve Malkin

Veteran
I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Grab the freewheel when it is stationary and try and rock it to see if there is any play in the freewheel bearing. If so, you can tighten the bearing race with a hammer and drift if you really want to (applies to thread on type only).

Thanks for that tyred (edit - and compo!), there's no discernable play in it when stationary, so I guess it's OK.

I wasn't really worried about it anyway, just curious to know whether that amount of wobble was typical of what to expect.

Top Bottom