French Alps this summer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Me & Mrs D are planning on doing a two week circular tour in the alps/Rhone valley this August. We're thinking of stopping for a couple of days here and there so we can ride some of the classic tour cols unloaded. We could fly into either Geneva or Lyon.

Any suggestions re. routes, start point etc. appreciated!

Also, we've never had a problem finding campsites as we go along in other parts of France, same in Rhone/Alps???

Cathryn

Legendary Member
How can no-one have responded to this thread? Come on...we love cols.

Dave, I don't have much experience but if it was me...I'd do pretty much exactly what this chap has done:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3Tzut&doc_id=4077&v=5m

My perfect trip.

Not been to Lyon. Went to Geneva by bike this summer - lovely city!! Hope this helps a bit...

LondonCommuter

I've never cycled in the alps but have camped when walking/climbing etc. I doubt any French campsite would turn you away with a bike and Chamonix seemed very quiet last summer as the recession was starting to bite. That said, we were there earlier in the season and August can be very busy. I would book ahead if you can, particularly for weekends and if that's too inflexible (I'm at the disorganised end of the spectrum) you can always just book a day or 2 ahead by phone.

AndrewClark

Veteran
I've flown Easyjet into Geneva 3 times, no dramas. It's easy to ride from the airport into town as well. Flying out was a different matter, my assembled bike in CTC poly bag would not fit through the X ray. They insisted I dismount the front wheel, this led to a scraped front wheel and dented frame :-(

You might want to look at a linear route. I've done Geneva to Nice twice, it's lovely and can be as easy or as hard as you make it (well, maybe not that easy!) but you get a nice change in scenery from the Alps, to the limestone region around Verdon to the coast. Plenty of campsites, I've never not been able to find one.

Cathryn, thanks for the link. I've had a good look and read. I then checked my hotel receipts and credit card slips and see I was on Ventoux on the same day, after a shopping trip in Decathlon in Orange. I can confirm that it got a mite nippy at the top - the top of the observatory was totally invisible when we got there.

sad admission - we drove up as neither of us are up to mountain storming on cycles.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I went down the rhone to the coast...so not your route but still you asked about the rhone sites...I had no problems really, except to say that the further south you go the bigger the rip off factor. Stay away from the big '3 4 5 star' nightmares...I found smaller sites on archies campings around there...cheaper, better and a lot less brits

Route has got to be traversing the Alps

i'm currently planning to do this myself with my step dad. Start in Geneva and finish in Nice. Traversing the alps and camping what more do you want
http://books.google.com/books?
id=iuT4Rg1Qtl8C&pg=PA167&lpg=PA167&dq=grand+traverse+of+the+alps&source=bl&ots=Fhr2T7F8zS&sig=OP3D0dkZu524gfo20nSJyoUOk8A&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=10&ct=result

Have a look and your comments would be appreciated

LLB

If you don't go anywhere else, make a point of taking in Annecy whilst you are there. Really nice place :smile:, I don't rate Geneva though :thumbsup:

LLB said:
If you don't go anywhere else, make a point of taking in Annecy whilst you are there. Really nice place :smile:, I don't rate Geneva though :thumbsup:

fully agree. Annecy, the lake and the surrounding hills. Several campsites by the side of the (minor) road round the east side of the lake.

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
Thanks for the input, now looks like we'll be flying to Nice and doing a circular route from there. Probably head towards Gap, Grenoble and play it by ear form there depending on weather etc.

Top Bottom