French cycle for Charity - Advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anyon

Regular
Hi Everyone,

I'm after a bit of advice from anyone who has cycled in France and can offer a little assistance.

My Girlfriend and i are planning a cycle trip in France in August this year to raise money for a local hospice here in Guernsey. The plan is to ride from St Malo to Fougere, Mayenne, Alencon, Le Mans, Angers, Laval, Rennes and back to St Malo in 8 sections. (We'll have a rest day in Le Mans and 2 in Rennes)

My main aim is to ride on cycle paths were possible, but on further investigation, it seems the paths although hava a firm base, are a loose gravel/grit covering the surface. We were going to take our "racers" but on reflection this is going to cause issues on these types of cycle paths. We will have the benefit of a Car on the journey, with some spares, and to carry clothing, leaving us to complete the ride with only the essentials. We have MTB's which we could use, but being that some of the sections are long, i'd rather use the "Racers"

I guess my question is, should i take only the "Racers" and suffer the puntures/ issues with the paths, or amend our route to use roads and add a few extra miles to the journey? Has anyones done a route near the one above and could suggest if the paths are suitable for this type of bike.

Thank you in advance
Anyon

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I take it you have the very skinny 23c tyres on your racers?

I have a Trek Lexa SL anf I changed to these.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dk/en/schwalbe-marathon-touring-tyre-greenguard/rp-prod69133

I have a rear rack on my bike and ride on loose gravel and farmers tracks a lot of the time without any punctures...touch wood. The ride is more comfortable as well.

Steve

OP
OP
A

Anyon

Regular
Hi Steve,

Thanks for that, i would rather use something like that with peace of mind, rather than having to add more miles on our route, and miss some of the scenery.

Anyon

jay clock

Massive member
Being France there are thousands of quiet country lanes (tarmac) and personally I would avoid the gravel paths and take the road bikes

jay clock

Massive member
Just looked. Max mileage is 100k per day, most a lot less. If you insist on the cycle path option I would take MTBs, but personally I would still do roads. Having said that, I cycled along the River by Dinan on a road bike with 23mm tyres and it was fine

Top Bottom