Friday night is music night - Irish music

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangaman

Friday night used to be music night!

It seems to have stopped.

In honour of the recent St Patrick's Day can I point you to Irish music.

In particular this song.

If (when, maybe) I'm on desert island discs - this would be there. It was the 1st Pogues song I'd heard and I was blown away.

Recently it resurfaced in my life as the music played at policemen's wakes on "The Wire". Shane McGowan may be an odd fellow
whistling.gif
but he could write a song - especially about the feelings of displaced Irish after the diaspora.

And it's a great song

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOZHwWFjb30

ASC1951

Guru
Shane McGowan may be an odd fellow but he could write a song
One of the best. Right up there with Ray Davies and Macca for complex songs from simple words.

OP
OP
mangaman

mangaman

One of the best. Right up there with Ray Davies and Macca for complex songs from simple words.

Nice comparison ASC - especially with Ray Davies - another of my all-time greats.

Talking of Desert Island discs, last year, me and a group of friends had a New Yera's Desert Island disc party.

You had to nominate 5 songs from different periods of your life and play them - and explain why you loved them.

It was great fun and I heard new music that I'd never normally hear, and heard songs I knew but didn't like explained by people that did. It was an awesome evening - that also involved an awesome amount of alcohol, so some of the later people were a bit too pissed to articulate their choices
whistling.gif

Maybe a topic for a new thread - what do you think? I'm tempted to start a thread - although it's incredibly hard to actually pick just 5 tracks and justify them.

TVC

OOh class, I thought I was the only one with them on my iPod.

Anyway, at the other end of the spectrum (apologies in advance).

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsQ56Jsd7Tg[/media]

Top Bottom