Friendly copper, courteous van driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mile

Lovely ride in this morning after a proper soaking last night.

Coming up the Lewes road there's a slight queue due to a policeman with speedgun. Van driver turning left just before he reaches the policeman but in front of me very carefully checks mirrors and waits for acknowledgement from me before starting turn.

As I pass the policeman he comments to me "nice to see someone using there mirrors for a change"!

Further up the road I pass the inevitable line of white vans hauled over, presumably from the speed trap.

Should add that Brighton and Hove does generally seem to be a friendly city for cyclists. Very few incidents in eight years of commuting.

Adasta

Should add that Brighton and Hove does generally seem to be a friendly city for cyclists. Very few incidents in eight years of commuting.

Lewes Road is used to cyclists as well since the cycle lane goes straight to Sussex Uni and is used by loads of students. Not to mention that the seafront also has a massive cycle lane. I think Brighton is a great town for cycling (apart from the hills!) because of its somewhat unique formation. I mean, if you live in Brighton itself, you're pretty much always central and don't need to go down many (if any) A roads to get to places of interest.

scouserinlondon

It's nice to hear good stuff. Last night I was riding in Primary near the scene of the Streatham accident last week at King's Avenue. I car with two likely looking lads in it beeped for me to get out of the way and shouted something out of the window, annoying but nothing too remarkable.

The very next morning, coming the opposite direction at the same junction a WVM did two excellent things. Firstly he gave me loads of room, and secondly he drove defensively to prevent other vehicles from passing him. Like my guardian angel.

I gave him a thumbs up as he passed and got a friendly beep.

Good times.

Top Bottom