From SPDs to road shoes & cleats - what a nightmare!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have dropped my old SPD mtb shoes and pedals and gone over to Sidi shoes and Keo pedals/cleats. The new setup is a fantastic 480gms lighter than the MTB setup and the shoes are really stiff but it's DIFFICULT! I have 20 years of experience with SPDs, which are of course designed for walking and frequent unclipping. By contrast the road setup is a nightmare, starting on a hill is nigh impossible and walking is downright dangerous. I'm beginning to appreciate that you don't tackle a hill in road shoes unless you're sure you can get up it, otherwise you're faced with the humiliation of walking in your socks!

Tell me it gets easier with practice! Is there a lightweight road setup that makes walking into the cafe safer?

Will1985

Über Member
Get some cleat covers? The extra rubbery plastic should give you more grip. I've never really had a problem walking in my cleats (Look Delta) - I am happy to walk round Sainsburys in them but the only place which really scared me was trying to walk down 3 flights of polished stone stairs when I lived in Italy.

Zorro

Veteran
It definitely does get easier. Keep at it, you will get used to it. Don't know about the look cleats but the shimano cleats have rubbery coloured bits on the edges which act as grips (although they are no where near as grippy as your ols mtb shoes I am sure). The cleat covers that 'Will1985' recommended are a good idea, they will give you grip and also protect the cleats from getting damaged.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, the Look cleats also have little rubber inserts for grip. Doesn't stop 'em being terrifying though!

jimboalee

Think youself lucky SPD-SL cleats have little urathane corners for grip.

Shoes with 'plates' had just an aluminium plate with a slot in it. Dancing on ice.

bonj2

Rigid Raider said:
I have dropped my old SPD mtb shoes and pedals and gone over to Sidi shoes and Keo pedals/cleats. The new setup is a fantastic 480gms lighter than the MTB setup and the shoes are really stiff but it's DIFFICULT! I have 20 years of experience with SPDs, which are of course designed for walking and frequent unclipping. By contrast the road setup is a nightmare, starting on a hill is nigh impossible and walking is downright dangerous. I'm beginning to appreciate that you don't tackle a hill in road shoes unless you're sure you can get up it, otherwise you're faced with the humiliation of walking in your socks!

Tell me it gets easier
It gets easier

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I find the SL cleats with 105 5610 pedals more user friendly than my Look Keos, my road rides only involve minimal disengagement as I ride in the country. My Specialized Road shoes have foam on the heel so you do get a bit of grip when walking.

I still use flat pedals on my commuter bike though.

yello

Rigid Raider said:
Tell me it gets easier with practice!

Ok. It gets easier. And it does.

I'm sure each pedal/cleat has its own idiosyncrasies but I've used Look Delta for a few years now and it now feels as natural at the SPDs once did. Off bike, you do need to pay more attention to what you are walking on (and steps, as Will mentions, are tricky) but even then you get used to it.

That said, I do take slipper things with me if I intend to spend any length of time off the bike (at a restaurant for lunch for instance).

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I will always keep my summer and winter Shimano SPD shoes for mountain biking, they're brilliant although heavy.

Top Bottom