Front facing light to illuminate a wide track in the woods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
Afternoon all

I appreciate that there are a number of threads about lights but I wanted to make sure I am getting up to date info and would really approecaite any advice.

Whilst the days are begining to get longer by the time I get home and can get out on the bike it will be dark. I want to to cycle a mile or so to get to a military large woodland area that is ringed with a wide gravel track. It is a great flat peacefull place to ride but obviously no street lights.

So I would like some advice on what current light to get that will provide sufficient illumiation for me to see precisely where I am going.

I have read and heard many people praising the Cree lights and also the smart lunar 35's.

What would you currently recommend? I don't want to spend a fortune and the two lights above are well within my budget and would probably be doubled up.

Many thanks

Darren

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Lunar 35 is not going to light the road in front.

Go for a T6/U2 light and go have a look at the thread if you want something cheap and powerful. Please bear in mind that these are ideally off road lights, so don't run them at full power with traffic about.

Jody

Stubborn git
I bought a Solarstorm X2 at Christmas. They are down to £23 from UK sellers and would light up half the forest. Chinese batteries are hit and miss from what I have read but you can get 3hrs + in low beam.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
I run two cree t6's, one with the original lense, one with a fresnel lense I fitted. That way you get a spot and a spread beam of light. Perfect for the woods!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Smart lunar 25 is an emergency get you home headlight, it is far more effective as a commuting light and on flash mode.

The Cree T6 is a massive bang for your buck light,

a more modest output but still effective option could be a cateye volt 300

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Hope R8 is my light of choice. Outstanding light with 8 Cree LED's and loads of options.
The best mount system ever for bars.. and its made in Blighty with a great finish.

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

I run two cree t6's, one with the original lense, one with a fresnel lense I fitted. That way you get a spot and a spread beam of light. Perfect for the woods!

Hi where did you get the fresnel lens and is it an easy modification?

Thanks

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Hope R8 is my light of choice. Outstanding light with 8 Cree LED's and loads of options.
The best mount system ever for bars.. and its made in Blighty with a great finish.

Hi

It certainly looks good but at £267 it is WELL out of my price range!

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Smart lunar 25 is an emergency get you home headlight, it is far more effective as a commuting light and on flash mode.

The Cree T6 is a massive bang for your buck light,

a more modest output but still effective option could be a cateye volt 300

Hi

Is the Solarstorm not three T6's combined?

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Hi where did you get the fresnel lens and is it an easy modification?

Thanks

Think I got it either on eBay or amazon, wasn't much more than a fiver, in terms of a mod it is a piece of the proverbial, unscrew the body, take out old lense, put in new, screw back up, simples.

It makes the circular beam into quite a nice horizontal spread.

Top Bottom