Front forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Well, the reason your Rockrider was more comfortable is because it had a softer spring. The pre-load dial does not affect the ride at all, only the point at which sag starts.
Yes and no. If you preload a coil spring the kg required to start the stroke increases, hence why it affects sag. Coils tend to ramp up spring rate towards the bottom end of the stroke, whereas you can tune an air fork to be plush at the top end and ramp up to give a bottomless feel, like a well tuned coil, or blow through the travel with a far more linear spring rate. Crap air forks can be as bad as a crap coil fork.

Cubist

Still wavin'
The thing is on my Rockrider they were coil sprung and when I turned the dial made the ride a lot better. The cushioning on them were streets ahead of the ones I have on my 29er. Honestly guys I feel like I am rattling along with these forks. And yes I want a little comfort as well. Sorry if I am being a pain.
Can you compress the fork at all by leaning on the bars? Have you tried the lockout dial in another position? If the fork doesn't compress it may be locked (or broken)

OP
OP
M

Madboy

Regular
The forks compress ok. I can push them up and down when appllying weight to the front. However, they are very very stiff when pushing down on them. Unlike the Rockrider, when you pushed down they went down smoothly and then came back up nice and smoothly.

OP
OP
M

Madboy

Regular
To answer the lock out, I turn the dial and they are completely locked. When I unlock them it is still stiff to push down, hence me asking if I could replace the springs with "softer ones".

For that type of money you can't upgrade, just sidegrade. You are riding canal tow-paths and don't really need a suspension fork for that. Just live with your current fork for now.

General question, why do people in the UK say forks when there is just one fork on the bike?
Because at the wheel end of each arm there is a fork that the wheel spindle sits in, hence two arms equals fork's...lol

Top Bottom