Front Suspension mtb with Drops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

no they're not. in fact longers made a post about a cyclocross race that was going on in sheffield and i asked him where it was, and he said a leisure centre, and i looked it up on the internet expecting that to be just the start and finish with the actual route going right out into some area of countryside i'm not aware of, and in actual fact the race was just round the grounds of the leisure centre! So not really on xc terrain. There's not going to be any major obstacles like rocks and roots, otherwise they'd break their wheels.

I've raced cyclo-x and xc for years; and although there are obviously exceptions it's not uncommon for them both to be run over very similar terrain. (Obviously cyclo-x races don't tend to have drops or rock gardens in them though)
As for the running. I've done several races where I haven't had to get off the bike at all. The running is normally only very short sections over an un-ridable obstacle.

Cyclo-x races where originally done by roadies in the off season on old road bikes. This is why the bikes used have drop bars and no suspension. At the beginner level cross races are very cheap to enter and you can compete on more or less any old bike. It's very common for MTBers to give it a go.

Dave5N

Über Member
To be honest the bits where you get off can be very welcome!

NickM

Veteran
bonj said:
You're either joking, or are a weirdo cyclocross type.
I've never ridden cyclocross. When I rode offroad, it was always exploring-the-countryside-with-occasional-thrills type riding, not look-at-me-aren't-I-extreme riding. I used all sorts of 26" wheeled bikes, from rigid to full suspension, and experimented with straight, riser and drop bars on most of them - whatever seemed most comfortable to my perpetually aching neck and shoulders (and that was a physical problem, not a position-related one). One permutation I never did try was drops on a hardtail... and that might have been the ideal kind of bike for my needs.

Which is my point; if it suits somebody, who is to say it's "wrong"? Simply being outside your limited experience does not make something weird.

bonj2

NickM said:
I've never ridden cyclocross. When I rode offroad, it was always exploring-the-countryside-with-occasional-thrills type riding, not look-at-me-aren't-I-extreme riding. I used all sorts of 26" wheeled bikes, from rigid to full suspension, and experimented with straight, riser and drop bars on most of them - whatever seemed most comfortable to my perpetually aching neck and shoulders (and that was a physical problem, not a position-related one). One permutation I never did try was drops on a hardtail... and that might have been the ideal kind of bike for my needs.
that's my type of riding to be honest, aswell.

NickM said:
Which is my point; if it suits somebody, who is to say it's "wrong"? Simply being outside your limited experience does not make something weird.

Well I suppose you've got a point there. But it IS still wrong, even if it may not be for me to say so.

simoncc

If this man uses his MTB as most people use theirs, ie they ride it on the road all the time, drops make perfect sense. Drops are narrow and make getting through heavy, stationary traffic easier so perhaps that's why this man fitted them. The odd thing about roadgoing MTBs is the suspension forks. No suspension of any kind is necessary on a roadgoing bike unless of course you want your bike to weigh more so you get more exercise using it.

Have a look at this.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/catfoodrob/choppers/models/models_sprint.html

NickM

Veteran
Nice - I could ride that! But why does it not have matching spokes on front and rear wheels? And 3TTT anatomic bars would be better... and I would put a Thudbuster seatpin on it...

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Have actually thought of this for my mountain bike (would sora 9 speed work with deore?) as much prefer drops to straight bars.

Before I had a mountain bike would take the galaxy off road, much to the amazement of my friends on their hardtails (frame and wheels equally durable, narrow bars better through the trees)

Also fun just to wind 'people' up

hodsgod

Abitrary said:
I've never understood the dropped part of drops unless you are a racer, and have always assumed that they just stop the brakes sliding off...

Exactly right, put a triple on it and it is a hybrid;)

k-dog

Have actually thought of this for my mountain bike (would sora 9 speed work with deore?) as much prefer drops to straight bars.

I think that 9 speed is 9 speed so that shouldn't be a problem.

Road STI's won't work with V-brakes though.

Top Bottom