Front wheel becomes loose over time?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have got Trans - X Security Skewers on both my front and rear wheels. However I seem to have a problem with my front one coming loose gradually. I ought to check the wheel every time I go out but usually the first I'm aware is a slight noise/movement on braking and when I check the wheel I can wobble it from side to side a small amount.

I'm getting Mr Summerdays to tighten the skewer so its not my strength that is the issue (unless I get a puncture of course - then I'll have to do the damsel in distress if I can't loosen it:biggrin:).

Is it anything to do with the type of skewer or do front wheels tend to work themselves loose. Or is there something else I should be looking at?

For example it was tightened about 1 month ago and I've done about 250 miles since then and I noticed it loose again yesterday. Its not a major problem but I didn't seem to have this problem last year.

jimboalee

Are you sure its not the front wheel bearing cones wearing?
Tightening the QR will simply squeeze the cones in to take up the sloppiness.
This can only be done to a certain extent, then the QR skewer snaps and shoots a passing dog.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
How would I know... if it was the cones? The bike (and therefore wheel) has done 2300 miles in total mostly on road, and some smoothish tracks.

e-rider

crappy member
If you have vertical dropouts then it's unlikely that the QR is coming loose and you really don't need to do them up mega tight either - but they should be secure of course!

So, either it is a bearing and cone issue or you have really really really crap QRs. Sometimes with horizontal dropouts on the rear the wheel can twist a little but I'm sure that isn't the case here.

My money's on the bearings!

You could try some different QR skewers from another bike to see if that helps before buying new ones. A pair will cost about 10-15 quid.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got these skewers and haven't had any trouble with them - never come loose. I'd remove, clean and refit.

If bearing problem, remove wheel and wiggle the axel - if you can feel alot of movement then you need to adjust it. A little movement is fine as this is taken up when the QR is tightened.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ok this is beginning to sound like something I will come back to at the weekend (when Mr Summerdays is around to help).

Top Bottom