Front Wheel Help!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

espressoman

Hi,
I have resurrected my Raleigh Pioneer (mint condition) and I am goint to hit the road.... I need to get fit so why not? I changed the tyres last night and found that the front whell has a slight (very very slight) kink. could this be a sa a result of the new tyre, can it be corrected by tightening the spokes, is it terminal, or should i not be worried.... so many questions ... such a novice...

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

jimboalee

There's 'run-out' which is a true rim improperly laced.
There's a 'buckle' which is a bent rim over a portion of the circumference while the rest of the rim is dead true.
There's a 'kink' which is where the rider has hit a square shaped object at speed and deformed the rim. A not-so-good repair will still show the 'kink'.
A 'kink' can also be where a heavy object has been dropped onto the wheel when the bike is flat on the floor. Or when the rim has been hit with an axe.

'Run-out' is curable. So is a 'Buckle'. A 'kink' is difficult to repair and usually means a new rim. A new tyre won't 'kink' a rim. Mounting a new tyre with a screwdriver might.

gbb

Legendary Member
espressoman said:
Hi,
I have resurrected my Raleigh Pioneer (mint condition) and I am goint to hit the road.... I need to get fit so why not? I changed the tyres last night and found that the front whell has a slight (very very slight) kink. could this be a sa a result of the new tyre, can it be corrected by tightening the spokes, is it terminal, or should i not be worried.... so many questions ... such a novice...

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Unless you're prepared to sacrifice the wheel, i wouldnt play with the spokes yet (unless of course you've done it before.) My first attempts made things worse.
Look carefully as you spin the wheel. Is it actually the wheel, or just the tyre.
If its the tyre, deflate and re-seat it.
If its the wheel...suck it and see ( not literally ;)). You will get a little judder as you brake, but you may be able to live with it...i have on one of my previous bikes.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
If the rim is a little out of true laterally and not damaged then you simply tighten the spokes(in the specific area) pulling in the opposite direction and slacken the spokes in the same area pulling in the direction that the wheel has gone out of line.

Only turn the nipples by a fraction though.

rh100

Hi and welcome

I'm a novice myself but this was my experience the weekend:

I changed both my tyres for semi-slicks, but found a nasty kink in both of them, closer inspection found that following the line just above the bead around the edge of the tyre where it meets the rim, the bead had sunk into the rim for so many inches along each side of the wheel.

I took them back to the lbs, who kindly reseated them for me for free, as soon as they were seated properly the kink was gone, also part of the problem was the tape covering the spoke screws had rode up the one side into the rim making thinks more difficult.

There are a few threads here recommending using talcum powder and such to help seat tyres properly, they may be of some use.

Rich

OP
OP
E

espressoman

Thanks all for taking the time to reply, it is definitely the wheel, but I will re-setthe tyre to see if that works, if not I gues its off to "bicycle repair man" to sort it out. I was hoping to get on the road tonight but it is hammering it down in rural worcestershire!! I would probably drown...

rh100

espressoman said:
I was hoping to get on the road tonight but it is hammering it down in rural worcestershire!! I would probably drown...

tell me about it, went out thinking it had eased up a bit, got thouroughly soaked and headed home, to top it all I got a bloomin' p**ct*re minutes from home, oh well, time to practice getting that tyre on myself now then :tongue:

hope you get yours sorted without too much cost :biggrin: and have fun

Top Bottom