FS: Jack Taylor Superlight Tourist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonconnell

My Mather is now fully repaired after a stupid incident, and I've got too many bikes, so this is up for sale.

Jack Taylor Superlight Tourist, finished in white with gold box lining and 'Mondrian' JT decals - all original paintwork, showing some patina but still presentable (and Argos are asking £350 to reproduce it with the decals). Made from Reynolds 531 with lovely fillet brazing on all the joints. 24" C-T seat tube, 23.5" C-C top tube.

The frame comes with a pair of custom-made Jack Taylor racks painted in matching white, with serial numbers that correspond to the frame. The frame also has a number of special details - a light mount on the forks and internal routing for the dynamo cable through the downtube.

The Taylor brothers were the closest the UK ever had to a 'constructeur' bicycle builder, and this is a good example of their craft with the matching racks and the facility for lighting.

Spec is also original -
  • TA Pro Vis 5 'Cyclotouriste' triple chainset (About £250 all-in if you can still find one)
  • Mafac 2000 centre-pull brakes and matching levers with gum hoods (a NOS set went for $300 last month)
  • Campagnolo downtube shifters
  • Suntour VX rear mech
  • Shimano LX front mech (but I also have a period-correct Mavic unfitted)
  • GB Hiduminium alloy quill stem, and Maes-bend alloy bars
  • Period two-piece alloy seatpost with Brooks B17 Narrow
  • Red Bluemels Popular mudguards and red gear/ brake cables
  • 27" wheels - Weinmann 36h alloy rims (with the 'dimpled' spoke eyes - these sell for about £60/pair) on low-flange screw-on alloy hubs (I've forgotten what, nothing special)

Overall this is a very rare bicycle with a pretty collectible set of parts on it. It's old, and has been well used but treated well. I'd rather it go to a good home where it will be ridden and appreciated, than to someone who will part it out, or convert it into a singlespeed (!). It rides very nicely, and is usable on a daily basis, or for Sunday afternoon cake rides.

I'll take some photos and upload them at the weekend, when I have time and it's not raining heavily.

I'm asking £400 collected from me in London - I'd rather not post, but we can sort something out (potentially delivery for petrol money within a reasonable radius).

OP
OP
S

simonconnell

Hi,

I've now got home and shot a few photos in the garden - these are a bit rough and ready (and full of fuschia!) so I'll still take some better ones at the weekend if it's not sold.

Quick additional notes - I thought the box lining was gold but it's actually a coppery pinky colour. The rear mech is actually a Suntour V GT-Luxe. The front rack seems never to have been mounted. And I forgot that it also has a pump included with a Campagnolo head - another £30 or so worth.

yz1oj3.jpg

yz1ojf.jpg

yz1oj5.jpg

yz1ojs.jpg

yz1oj7.jpg

yz1oj8.jpg

yz1ojc.jpg

yz1oja.jpg

yz1oj9.jpg

yz1ojb.jpg

yz1ojd.jpg

yz1oje.jpg