Fuel pricing..any other examples of imaginary pricing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If the fuel has just been delivered, from the above ground steel holding tanks at the storage depot, to the petrol filling station, you get less fuel for your money at the end of a hot summer because the fuel has expanded in the tanks.... after a week or so in the PFS's underground tanks the temperature falls to around 5 to 10 degrees so it's denser and you get more for your money.... but then once it's expanded again in your car's tank you get the benefit.... [Obviously, it's not a massive amount but I can't remember the coefficient of expansion for petrol and diesel... :tongue:]

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If the fuel has just been delivered, from the above ground steel holding tanks at the storage depot, to the petrol filling station, you get less fuel for your money at the end of a hot summer because the fuel has expanded in the tanks.... after a week or so in the PFS's underground tanks the temperature falls to around 5 to 10 degrees so it's denser and you get more for your money.... but then once it's expanded again in your car's tank you get the benefit.... [Obviously, it's not a massive amount but I can't remember the coefficient of expansion for petrol and diesel... :tongue:]
That's the reason F1 teams measure their fuel by weight rather than volume. They can make sure they have exactly what they need for the race and the slowing down lap and no more.

I'm more annoyed that I can never get the b***dy thing to stop at exactly £xx.00. It always tips over to another one, even if I have been creeping it in on the countdown .96...97...98...99......01!!!!!!

I just don't look, fill up until it shuts off and then pay for it. I cannot see a need for it to be a round number unless I am paying cash which I never do.

subaqua

What’s the point
I just don't look, fill up until it shuts off and then pay for it. I cannot see a need for it to be a round number unless I am paying cash which I never do.

toughest decision for OCD

SuZQUWF.jpg

chriswoody

Legendary Member
You think the .9 of a penny thing is bad, here in Germany they change their prices as the day goes on. It's delibrately designed to confuse people so no one really knows what the price of fuel is and you just end up buying at the first station you see. It's not uncommon to see fluctuations of over 10 cents a litre during the course of a day and that's in just one fuel station.

Davidc

Guru
First time anyone tried to defraud me was at a filling station, using the 2 slips at once trick under the old roller imprint machine. Barclaycard told me after the culprit was given a 6 month suspended sentence that they and access had received 10 complaints. they estimated that over 250 people had been 'done' by him - the rest hadn't noticed!

Top Bottom