Fuji Feather 2020 fixed gear frame size advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brock99

Hello, I am planning to buy a Fuji Feather 2020 fixed gear, https://www.fujibikes.com/usa/bikes/pavement/urban/feather/feather but am very confused about what size to get. It seems that I am between the 56cm and 58cm frames and because of our current situation i'm not able to visit a bike shop to try them out.

I haven't cycled for around 5 years, but i'm going to need to start again soon for commuting reasons. My last bike was a Boardman 2010 Hybrid Comp, large size which had a 54cm frame (I don't have it anymore) https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/boardman/hybrid-pro-ltd-2010, and from what I remember it was ever so slightly on the large size, but fine. I realsie that there will be a difference in measuring for a hybrid and the bike i'm looking at.

From looking at the guidance on the Fuji website and https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fuji-feather-city-bike-2020/rp-prod179651 based on my height (5' 9.5" or 177cm) I should be going for the 56cm, however based on standover height i'm firmly in the 58cm category.

My measurements are as follows:

Height - 177cm
Inside leg - 84cm
Armspan - 185cm (giving me a +8cm Ape Index)

I'm learning how to measure etc. from scratch and i'm feeling a bit out of my depth. I have no doubt that I will be overlooking some important factors. Can anybody offer any guidance as to which size would be more appropriate, or does it ever matter that much if i'm borderline between the two? I don't plan to ride particularly fast - I just want a comfortable bike.

Thanks in advance!

Sharky

Guru
If borderline, I would go with the smaller size. You can always get longer stems and seat posts, but you can't do much if the frame is too big.

Won't help you, but I am 5' 9" and my single speed is a medium (54), where as my geared bikes are large (56). But all seem the same once everything is set up.

Depending on the terrain, you might find a 46x16 a little on the high side and I don't like those brake lever positions. They are in the wrong place when you need them for descending and cornering. Also in the wrong place for when you are climbing and out of the saddle.

Good luck and happy cyclong

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Sorry to be a bit negative, but also noted that it seems to have a quill stem, rather than the modern ahead style. Nothing wrong with a quill, but the ahead style are much easier to maintain and to take the handle bars off.

And it says track style handle bars. These could be deep drops.

12boy

Guru
I had a 2005 Fuji track bike which appears to be the direct progenitor of the Feather. Sold it to a friend after 10 years who still rides it daily. After I had 2 months and got it dialed in I was hit by a driver who broke my ribs and shattered the plastic lenses of my glasses in my backpack. The Fuji was fine except for gouges in my Brooks saddle and the paint. His insurance paid for a new Brooks and a powder coat so it was better than new. I went with bull horns and remember it as very light and nimble and lots of fun. Short wheelbase and the lightness made me feel I wasn't riding it as much as wearing it. Excellent bike.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Sorry to be a bit negative, but also noted that it seems to have a quill stem, rather than the modern ahead style. Nothing wrong with a quill, but the ahead style are much easier to maintain and to take the handle bars off.

Quill stems might be regarded as old-fashioned, but they have a massive advantage of being able to adjust the height of the bars in infinitely small increments, in a matter of minutes with no silly spacer switching.
I don't get the maintenance issue either; if I want to just do a quick lube top-up on a quill headset I can take off the locknut, loosen the top cup, lift the frame clear of the lower bearing, finger some grease into the race, drop the frame, finger some grease into the top race, screw down the top cup, tighten the locknut and have it back together and adjusted in five minutes without needing to touch the quill expander or the bar adjustment. Quills are dead easy to maintain.

Sharky

Guru
Quill stems might be regarded as old-fashioned, but they have a massive advantage of being able to adjust the height of the bars in infinitely small increments, in a matter of minutes with no silly spacer switching.
I don't get the maintenance issue either; if I want to just do a quick lube top-up on a quill headset I can take off the locknut, loosen the top cup, lift the frame clear of the lower bearing, finger some grease into the race, drop the frame, finger some grease into the top race, screw down the top cup, tighten the locknut and have it back together and adjusted in five minutes without needing to touch the quill expander or the bar adjustment. Quills are dead easy to maintain.
I'm sure the pros and cons of quill vs ahead have been wildly discussed many times and a quill stem comes out top on being able to adjust the height easily. But moving spacers up/down is a very close runner up. But when it comes to adjusting a loose/tight headset with just a 5mm Allen key and can easily be done on the road, I think I prefer the ahead system. And when it comes to fitting a longer/shorter stem, there is no need to unwrap the handle bar tape and remove one of the brake levers.

I rode and raced with quills for over 45 years and was quite happy with them, but like clip less pedals, once you try them and appreciate the difference, there is no going back.

jmizzle

Hello, I am planning to buy a Fuji Feather 2020 fixed gear, https://www.fujibikes.com/usa/bikes/pavement/urban/feather/feather but am very confused about what size to get. It seems that I am between the 56cm and 58cm frames and because of our current situation i'm not able to visit a bike shop to try them out.

I haven't cycled for around 5 years, but i'm going to need to start again soon for commuting reasons. My last bike was a Boardman 2010 Hybrid Comp, large size which had a 54cm frame (I don't have it anymore) https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/boardman/hybrid-pro-ltd-2010, and from what I remember it was ever so slightly on the large size, but fine. I realsie that there will be a difference in measuring for a hybrid and the bike i'm looking at.

From looking at the guidance on the Fuji website and https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fuji-feather-city-bike-2020/rp-prod179651 based on my height (5' 9.5" or 177cm) I should be going for the 56cm, however based on standover height i'm firmly in the 58cm category.

My measurements are as follows:

Height - 177cm
Inside leg - 84cm
Armspan - 185cm (giving me a +8cm Ape Index)

I'm learning how to measure etc. from scratch and i'm feeling a bit out of my depth. I have no doubt that I will be overlooking some important factors. Can anybody offer any guidance as to which size would be more appropriate, or does it ever matter that much if i'm borderline between the two? I don't plan to ride particularly fast - I just want a comfortable bike.

Thanks in advance!

I have a 2017 feather. I'm 178cm tall with a 82cm inseam. I run a 54cm frame because I know the Geo pretty well and planned to put a 120mm stem on. I swapped the stock one for a nitto -17 degree. It came with a something around 80mm. Since we're pretty close in size I think you'll be just fine on the 56cm.

It's a good bike for casual use. That said I often do 100km+ rides on mine. Hope things work out for you.

Top Bottom