Fulcrum Racing 5 wheelset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

endoman

Got these last week, and today was the first real opportunity to try them in a group. I did commute on them on Friday as well. They are on my focus cayo. Bought as training wheels, I plan some hand builts for the sportive season and the Etape.

Flatish club ride, well 3500 feet of gentle climbs in a 60 mile ish ride. Managed for the first time to not get dropped, and even lead the group a few times, including up one longish drag. There was a definite benefit going up these sort of hills compared with the stock wheels on the Cayo. Roughly 5% gradient stuff. My effort was translated into speed much more. Wheels felt very solid, they are around 600g lighter in total than the stock ones, I'm still running basic tyres on them for winter. They spin up to speed easier, and downhill I was passing everyone, maybe due to my weight ( 83 kg) . Don't know enough else to describe any more, maybe a stiffer feel, very quiet, easy to fit tyres onto.

First club ride when I have felt totally at ease with the pace, not being the bloke at the back being dropped. Next Sunday will be a bigger test as the club ride then includes Winnat's pass. Had to stop twice the only other time I've tried it.

Garz

Squat Member
They spin up to speed easier, and downhill I was passing everyone, maybe due to my weight ( 83 kg) . Don't know enough else to describe any more, maybe a stiffer feel, very quiet, easy to fit tyres onto.

First club ride when I have felt totally at ease with the pace, not being the bloke at the back being dropped. Next Sunday will be a bigger test as the club ride then includes Winnat's pass. Had to stop twice the only other time I've tried it.

Great to hear they have made an impact to your experience. I'm not convinced they made you faster during the club run, more likely you had a manageable pace or you have got fitter!

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
I have a pair of these, they are very strong, reasonably light and a good price.

I used these to replace a pair of Mavic Aksiums (a pretty decent set of everyday hoops). The Fulcrums are about the same weight, but much quieter and appear to be stronger. The Fulcrums also appear to spin up quicker than the Aksiums, despite weighing about the same. I had to true the Aksiums before the first ride and fairly regularly throughout their life. I have now done about 2000 miles on the Fulcrums and they are still true.

Very pleased, decent set of wheels for the money.

gbb

Legendary Member
Spinning up faster is true, i fairly fly downhill on mine, much more so than the stock wheels on my other bikes.
I do wish someone would do a scientific study on wheels, particually how much or little friction there is between models, all we ever know is the weight.
Thinking about a pair of racing 3s (which are cup n cone) a potential new build, they may be marginally lighter, but will they be faster.

fudgedog

I have racing 3's, can't fault them. Had 7's before and they are noticibly faster (but I did upgrade tyres as well)

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
just bought some of these, not fitted them yet...So no idea what to expect as far as improvement is concerned.

My current wheels are Alexrims R450 - which I can find very little info about, but I suspect they are cheap as chips (as my bike overall was relatively cheap) - So fingers crossed it will be improvment.

Top Bottom