Future shock.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

User269

Mainly a roadie riding a Trek Madone and Litespeed Tachyon TT bike, I've always enjoyed riding off road and used to do the local race series.

I've resisted upgrading my old Marin for some years, but can hold out no more! The trouble is I'm reluctant to move with the times and am not impressed with the disc brakes that come with all new bikes and add weight and increased maintenence costs. And as for all the different settings you can make on the front forks............well :angry: !

Anyway, I'm picking up a 2011 Scott Scale 35 next week (carbon frame hardtail). Any tips regarding use and maintenence of this bike? Is it true that if you remove a wheel and apply the brake lever there will be a massive explosion?? :laugh:

Any tips gratefully received :smile:

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
Surprisingly enough, if you keep it clean and keep it lubed your maintainence costs will be no more than any other bike.

And squeezing the brake handle with no wheels on, while silly, is easy enough to fix by sliding a butter knife between the pads and twisting.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Generally it will be the same to look after as any other bike, for the forks there will pobably be some info that comes with the bike, if not just get on the web and find the relevant set-up and maintenance guides, they'll probably be Rockshox or Fox, both have lots of info available, just set up the various paremeters as standard as explained in the guides, the important ones are the Sag (how much the fork compresses under your weight) and rebound, how fast it uncompresses (a new word I think), make sure your rebound comes back quick enough, but you don't want a pogo stick at the front of the bike.

The brakes are dead easy, just leave them alone, they will be perfect, and compared to rim brakes, you will be amazed.

Anyway, I'm picking up a 2011 Scott Scale 35 next week (carbon frame hardtail). Any tips regarding use and maintenence of this bike? Is it true that if you remove a wheel and apply the brake lever there will be a massive explosion?? :laugh:

It only explodes if your facing west when you pull on the brake, I think it's to do with unhappy ley lines. If you do apply the brakes with the wheel out you may bring the pads in too close together and you won't be able to get the disk back in, don't panic just gently leaver the pads apart, a blunt knife works well, becareful if you use a screw driver you can chip the edge of the pad.

Enjoy and post some pics.

OP
OP
U

User269

Well, thanks for the advice y'all. Once again I'm thwarted by the non existence of any stock of anything despite numerous websites showing all sorts of nonexistent stock. Maybe I'll buy a new car instead.......

Top Bottom