Gall stones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Just been diagnosed with gall stones. In the last four years I've had three bouts of agonising colic, distressing enough last time to go to the Doc who ordered a scan. Sure enough they have found gall stones and made a referral to an outpatient appointment to discuss having the gall bladder taken out. No doubt I'll get most of the answers I need from the consultant, but anyone on here had experience of having the GB removed? My main worry is the length of time off work and of course length of time off the bikes.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I'm now awaiting having mine out in the next 12 weeks after an 18 month wait!
They class the operation as elective for some bizarre reason.
I've been in a lot of pain with several bouts landing me in A&E.

It depends how they do the op as to recovery time. If it's keyhole surgery you'll usually be home the same day and recovery is quicker. If general surgery, you'll be in for a week and recovery will be 6 weeks or so.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Just been diagnosed with gall stones. In the last four years I've had three bouts of agonising colic, distressing enough last time to go to the Doc who ordered a scan. Sure enough they have found gall stones and made a referral to an outpatient appointment to discuss having the gall bladder taken out. No doubt I'll get most of the answers I need from the consultant, but anyone on here had experience of having the GB removed? My main worry is the length of time off work and of course length of time off the bikes.
I had mine out in 2008 as an emergency procedure - the gall bladder was diseased and part of it had died and was stuck to my liver xx(
I had keyhole surgery. Two weeks off work, and the "stitches" (large metal staples) came out a few weeks later. Might have been 4 weeks after the operation but I can't really remember. I worked in an office so there was nothing physical involved that might have needed a longer recovery time.
I wasn't cycling back then, so I can't comment on time off the bike.

Top Bottom